how to elminate death wabble???

4x4junky09

i have a 89 cherokee with a 4" lift and i had 31's on it and the sway bars off. i didnt have any problems with it now i have put on a set of 33's and between 35 and 45 mph it wabbles but its not a bad wabble but it is agravating . is it because the sway bars are off or what could be causing it ??????

Your larger tires have effectively reduced caster, and also act as a bigger level to move any worn out parts in the front end. So first thing is to fix anything with wear. After that, get it aligned with a little more caster in it...

If it is death wobble, you should be able to feel it in the steering wheel as well as see it if you stick your head out the window (be careful). Are you sure you don't have a tire out of balance? If it's death wobble, you'll know it!

all the tires have been balanced . it has never done it before till i got the 33's put on and like i said it only does it between 35 and 55 mph the steering wheels doesnt shake at all i just feel the front shaken and the pedals shaken

please re-read post #2.

If it is death wobble you should feel it in the steering unless you have hydraulic assist. Something to consider also, if it was balanced using stick on weights they may have fallen off shortly after balancing. This happened to me when 4wheelparts in Raleigh did mine, maybe one day they will fix it. Being a unibody and depending on how well isolated the control arms are it could be any of your tires out of ballance. If a shop did the balance that does not typically handle big tires they may not have done a proper job.

Replace the bushings in your front links. Sounds like the bushings are shot. Are the 31's less aggressive than the 33's. If there's any cupping in the tires you'll feel that in the floor board through the front links if there worn out.

a small mph window points to tire balance. i know you said you did it, but have the fronts re-checked, and have the tech observe the tire and wheel as the machine spins it, for out of round on the tire, and runout on the wheel.

How does tire size change caster? Im ok with the bigger lever part.

"effectively reduced"

rise over run change vertical distance and either the angle changes or the horizontal does.

Could have a tire the won't balance or a tire shop that "gave up" on getting it to balance. Sometimes larger tires can be hard to balance due to the larger lugs. 33s shouldn't be that bad, Might get a second opinion on the tire balance, and Like stated above, Check to see if the weights are still on there.

Do you have factory Control arms or After Market ons. If you have adjustable arms, Set the caster a little more, Caster can help over come the wobble, But it won't correct the issue.

well guys yall were right it was a wheel out of balance and i went to walmart to get them done but they couldnt balance them thel said the tires were to big and with the big mud tread the machine could do it

Back