How to fit 4 37" mounted MT's in a Grand Prix!

andysleds

IMG_1584_1_1.jpg

So, most people would think that it is impossible, but I did it this weekend. I will post the pics tomorrow (my camera batteries were gone this morning)
First you need to measure the opening of the rear door of the car. In my case it was almost exactly 36" and thank god a 37" tire is only about 36" I figured that I could get them into the back seat.
Second - measure the inside width of the opening of the trunk, and the inside of the trunk between the fenderwells. In my case once again around 36-37" between them.
:bounce2: This really made me start to believe that I could do this.:bounce2:
The trickiest part, how in the H*ll am I gonna fit 3 of these in the back seat? Only one is gonna fit in the trunk!
Next - So I took some inside measurements of the inside of the rear cab, some with the seats down, and some without. During this time I found that if the tires were going to be laid down, I had to have the 2/3 part of the rear seat laid down. This had to happen so the tires could be pushed into the trunk opening allowing for the front seat to not be pushed all of the way forward. I had just assumed that I could fit the last tire in on an angle against the other 2 tires that were stacked on top of eachother behind the passenger seat.............lets just say I should have measured!:shaking:
Oh, I forgot. The 1/3 part of the rear seat must stay up(not folded down) in order to lean that last tire in there and you must put the driver seat all the way forward to get the tie into the cab.
At this point you can place the tire in the trunk, 2 of them need to be stacked behind the passenger seat, and the last one can be forcefully rammed into the car and stood up on an angle against the other 2!
Note: before you begin, you must let all of the air out of the tires!!!! and you msut have any remorse for the damage that you are about to do to the door frame of the car!!:beer:
Finally - you must have a girlfriend in the car with you that is 5'4" or less and weighs less than 130lbs! If so, she gets the pleasure of driving because the driver seat will not go back anymore once you put it forward to slide the last tire in.
You can attempt to try and fit, but unless your legs are short, you don't have any body fat in the mid section, and you don't need your forehead for anything in the future cause it is buried into the visor on the ceiling, you will not need said girlfriend, luckily I had one and she drove from Charlotte to Greensboro with the steering wheel about 3 inches away from her girl parts!
Oh, and on the way home make sure to call all of your friends and laugh while she is in the driver seat pissed at the world while hating every Jeep that sees!!

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g127/andysleds/IMG_1585_1_1.jpg

Quite a bit smaller, but I hauled a set of 4 mounted 33"s in the back of my old Accord from Liberty to W-S. Tailend was squatted *hard* and about 10 miles into the trip, the @#$%! exhaust hanger let go... crammed the CAT end of the exhaust into the ground, scarred the everloving $#@T outta me, and had to ride the remaining 25 miles with the exhaust roaring.

I also hauled a mated TH400/D20 in the trunk and a stock Commando rollbar from Asheville to Knoxville in that car... the bar was turned upside down in the back, but the legs stuck straight up thru the partially opened rear windows! The heater was barely able to keep up with the open windows in the winter mountain air... ah, the memories! :flipoff2:

I carried 4 35x12.5's on Wheels in the cab of my Wrangler, but Im not sure if that is as impressive.

So, most people would think that it is impossible, but I did it this weekend.

I just cannot decide if thsi is something to be proud of... or not...

But good job either way :beer:

Thanks guys I figured everyone might want to start out the week with a laugh I only got I picture of the tires in the cab, I'll get it posted up tomorrow along with some of the carnage that my car has. I also need to get some of the rig with the new meat under it!!

Finally - you must have a girlfriend in the car with you that is 5'4" or less and weighs less than 130lbs! If so, she gets the pleasure of driving because the driver seat will not go back anymore once you put it forward to slide the last tire in.
You can attempt to try and fit, but unless your legs are short, you don't have any body fat in the mid section, and you don't need your forehead for anything in the future cause it is buried into the visor on the ceiling, you will not need said girlfriend, luckily I had one and she drove from Charlotte to Greensboro with the steering wheel about 3 inches away from her girl parts!

So your saying girlfriend fitment is optional depending on airbag size?

Haha. Ive got one of those... 5 35's in a jeep. Luckly I only had to go about 10 miles. But I had 3 of the tires in the bed... or lack there of. I had another tire riding passanger. Then the last tire rode on the hood. Needless to say I only could see what was next to me. IE the road outside the driver side.

Back