How to Title/Register a Trailer

Jeepnmud74

Alright I got a trailer and need to get it titled. Does anyone here know what exactly I need to do? It was built and this will be the first title to this trailer. I have searched the DMV website and came up empty on exactly what I need to do. Maybe I just missed it but I did not see anything that helped me there.

Thanks,

Lee

Go by the DMV office and pick up an application. They will tell you everything you need to do.

yeah go there to DMV get application. It will have a number to stamp on tongue and axle, make sure it's all legal. Lights not required but it looks good to have them. Take it back and they will inspect it, sign off on it and you take it to the tag office and get a tag. Simple as that

Cool thanks sounds easy.

When u stamp the number on the trailer it has to be on the frame not a plate or anything removable. I didnt have to stamp my axle but who knows. I didn't heed this advise and had to redo it

cool thanks.

Ok for anyone else who needs to know and does not know. Here is how it works.

This is for home made trailers.

Go to the tag office and get the paperwork. Make sure the numbers on that paper including the letters are stamped onto the axles and tongue of the trailer. Then you can get any highway patrolman to inspect it and sign off on your paperwork. Once it has been inspected and the paper signed then you go back to the tag office and get your tag and title work done.

title

A DMV person, such as the guys a weight stations can inspect and sign the paper work also.

Umm I may be thinking to hard but how can you tow it somewhere to get it signed off on if you cant have it on the road? Put it up on a 2nd trailer that is registered???? Seems like I overthinking it.

nope, just pull it. Legal to pull if unloaded. It does not have to have lights either if you can see your tow rigs lights from behind. Have your paper beside you to get signed off. So if by chance you do get pulled, no problem, just be on route from your home to the highway inspection place!

I had the same question so I asked a cop and this is what he told me.

Me and JeepNMud are almost ready for a title and tag. Got to check the tires and brakes. Hard parts done!!!

Attachments

• webtrailer1.jpg
    webtrailer1.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 449
trailer house axles

does it matter if you use trailer house axles? i just moved from minnesota, and they wouldn't tag a trailer with those axles.

Axles ok but if your tires say "mobile home use only" they will turn it down.

Thats good to know. I think a couple of my tires say that on them.

Does anyone know if a drop pin tongue for a 9' or any size utility trailer is legal? I have a really old trailer that was home built for farm use. I'd just like to title it and put a tag on it to haul a lawn mower occasionally or maybe the kids four-wheelers.

I'd just like to title it and put a tag on it to haul a lawn mower occasionally or maybe the kids four-wheelers.

FYI I've been towing one trailer that I have for over 6 years without a tag on it. It has lights and brakes and even a title, I just have never bothered.:shaking:

No hitch ball pin goes thru a peice of flat bar, then thru your bumper hole like where the ball should be, then thru another peice of flat bar.

No, pin hitch not legal.

Must have fenders, too. And as said above no mobile home tires.

Had the finer points above, plus more, explained to me by the DMV on the side of I40 once.

Back