I found MY new tow rig!

kilby

We were upposed to go "fuel up" a couple of these bad boys the other day @ work...

06_Chevrolet_C4500C5500Kodiak_LG.jpg

So anyway, on the way to "get fuel", we just had to practice with its "mobility". So we were busting off U turns on South Blvd. with room to spare. That section of South is about Six Forks Rd size (+ / -). I was skeptical at first when some of the guys were saying it could turn inside a lot of midsize cars. There's just something about a narrow rear end -- wink wink. :D

How come none of you ever thinks of getting a used Jerr-Dan? Not only would it get your own rigs where you want to go, but *ahem* you could make some spare change with it when you aren't wheeling. :smokin:

EDIT: And here's another thought... mod one of those for 4x4 and use it for TRAIL RESCUE! Hmmmmm.... might be nice to only have to winch a broke truck once instead of twelve dozen times, a la "Suburbans Are Heavy". ;)

"TREBISSKY'S TRAIL RECOVERY"... hmmmm. Y'know, that does kinda have a ring to it... I gotta see if I can get a small business loan. Anybody wanna help convert one to 4WD, for a piece of the action? :lol:

No, I meant FOUR by 4, as in 40" MT tires, locking hubs, the whole shmear. Something that would make it all the way thru Tellico without breaking a sweat. And a tilting tow ramp, not a flatbed.

What do you think something like that would go for, @$100K out the door? :D

we've got a 4500 as a work truck. its awesome! comfy, roomy, In a couple of years they will be getting cheap on the used market....

Trebissky said:
How come none of you ever thinks of getting a used Jerr-Dan?

I have one. 1977 C30 (2WD 1-ton) Chevy with 454 and SM465. Jerr-Dan Bed is steel. Bought this truck for $6000 several years ago. Right away I had to put front brakes on it (rotors had cracks in them) and get the add-on A/C fixed. Had to replace the U-joints a little later. Then most recently had the power steering pump go bad (hydra-boost) and the trans started making noise. Those should be fixed soon. That's not too many repairs on an older truck that I have used A LOT.

My only complaints - it is not a diesel (the fuel economy SUCKS), it is a regular cab (we need more room), and it is not 4WD (have gotten it stuck at my place a few times). But I picked up a beat 1979 4WD dually crew-cab a little while back, and will splice the two together eventually, and I'll eventually get a Cummins 12V to swap in, since we know the price of fuel is never going to come down.

They are nice trucks, but wait a few years before you sing praises about them, the wiring system is not well protected at all, and I'm running into issues regularly with transmission control and ABS sensors/controls, usually attributed to wiring rubbed thru/chaffed.

The AC system while it works REALLY well, is prone to the air box ( on top of the engine ) rubbing holes in the lines right at the compressor, as well as lines rubbing together at the rad. support on pass side.

The brakes are great (4 piston fixed up front (make 'yota calipers look really small) , dual piston sliding in the rear), but the rears seem to wear rather quickly (25-30k miles) and when they do, you'll be replacing the rotors as well due to heat cracking. ( which requires a T-70 TORX bit and a REALLY STRONG impact gun.)

'03- early '04 models (pre 01-04 manf date) with the Dmax will have the LB7 engine, which will seemingly have injector issues for eternity, still waiting for GM to pony up with extended warranty on these.

The Dmax /Allison equipt trucks share the same engine and trans as the pickups, just different mountings and the engines are actually DE-RATED from the pickups. (it's all programing, the engines are identical)

If the truck doesn't already have a PTO set up, don't assume you can just bolt one on, many of the Allison tranny were not ordered with the bull gear in the trans to run a tranny mounted PTO setup.
you'll find a lot of truck with dump beds using electric/hydrulic dump systems. and many rollbacks/wreckers using a belt driven "clutch pump")

they are like "Really big Corvettes" to work on/repair nothing is easy to get at, changing the fuel filter is an excersize in anger management.

Dmax versions: Replacing injectors is like playing TWISTER. Oil changes without a pit are not bad, the drain plug is on the front of the pan, easy to get too, filter is a little tougher, you'll be backstroking on the creeper at best. Glow plugs are a breeze to remove/replace

8100 Vortec: plugs/coil packs aren't too bad to get too,

Anything on top or on the front of the engine is a PITA to get too, unless you are really small and can climb up into the engine.

We have sold 2 of the 4x4 versions, still waiting for them to come in for service, Dana Super70 hi pinion :drool: front axle with manual locking hubs, 5.13 gearing. Not sure on the T-case yet, haven't seen it.

Kevin

Back