IFS/SAS Toyota ~87 4Runner

Yay!Gurrr

Better Faster Stronger
Ok, just sorting out whats what....
I have 1987 4Runner, right now it got 31" tires, everything else is stock.....
I'm probably going to keep it that way for the first year...
So..
IFS or SAS
29439.jpeg

20211017_144609.jpg

Last edited:
Far cheaper to wheel what already is on the vehicle versus doing it just to do it. If that thing is as clean as it looks, I'd have a hard time cutting stuff off of it, but that's just me. Essentially, modify to suit your needs or wants.

If you stay stock suspension height with the ifs they hold up pretty well. Lifting gets the CV's at too severe of an angle causing breakage. Also OEM shafts are way stronger than parts store ones.

33s are a good limit, might hold up locked if you don't bounce. I ran my 2nd gen on 33s with a rear locker and it got around just fine on regular trails. After swapping it's better in rocks but if happily run an ifs setup again.

This is all assuming the current parts are in good shape. If you have to start replacing things... swapping is a decent chunk of change, prices have gone up a ton since I did it back in 2010.

It’ll be SAS’D and have a turbo on it by spring of next year. Mike won’t be able to leave it alone. Impossible!

1" home made boly lift, pount the rear of the front fender wells back, get some skinny 33"s, add an e-locker rear end and rock on.
Don't bother with the BJ spacer lifts. In the long run they screw up too many things. You'll be bereaking CVs and replacing tie rods and all kinds of stuff.
If you do want to go that route, first thing to do is to fab or acquire some beefy tie rod ends and a support for the idler arm.

If ya wanna be a little different, there is of course the option to do a long travel IFS conversion. Swap to coils etc. Pretty badass, but about the same cost as SAS all in all.

Back