IFS Yota

Thumper

Does anybody wheel with a yota that has stock IFS and does anybody live around raleigh that could give me some advice with a SAS?

I wheel in a '94 4runner with the IFS, It isnt bad at all for a nearly stock rig but maby later I will do a SAS

me and my buddy wheeled IFS for the longest time. My advice is to wheel IFS untill you find yourself frustrated that you can't get over an obstacle. Then try harder untill you break something in the front end.

I ran 33's w. a t-bar crank and did alot of stuff, all of uwharrie. Most anything around here you can do like that

My bud wheels his ifs 4runner on 35's, done most of uwharrie in it, but notthin too serious cause 35's is pushin it on that front IFS.

As far as for the SAS look at one of the kits by Marlin, Sky, or Trailgear with Trailgear being the cheapest. It's pretty much Impossible to beat the pre made kit prices when doing a yota SAS even if you make the stuff yourself.

i ran beadlocked 37s on my ifs for a while. its way stronger than people say, just dont lock it. i did a bunch at DPG with it a few times and it held up ok, but big tires eat balljoints and wheel bearings, not to mention steering BS. needless to say im SASing mine this weekend

My silver junk is IFS. I kinda like it for light wheeling. Tippy, unpredictable and to date nothing has broke in the front. (33's, open)

The rebuild will be more of a pre runner setup, softer, beefier front end stuff etc...

I messed up my ifs with 35"s and then I destroyed it with 38"s. I just got a new truck(93 with IFS) I'm going to run 34.10.50 LTBs until I demolish the ifs. I don't know how long that will take but I hope it will last a while. This time it is locked in the frount; the cv's may not withstand that.
I don't know where you live at but I have a Buddy that lives in Hudson that has done multiple SASs. He would be glad to give you some pointers.:driver:

i wheeled mine once on ifs open on 31" all terrains at uwharrie... i like the skinny pedal alot and was actually kinda trying to break the front... well i succeded and broke a cv axle so you can break it but it held up to a lot more than i thought it would

I wheeled mine locked and on 33s for a while. it worked great! the worst part was banging it on the rocks in tellico and of course the lack of slex it had didnt help me out either.

I am now SASed and ready to go back!

if your drvin a pre-95 yota your very lucky cause you already got an ifs steering box and can just throw a yota axle under there and have fun i gotta 02 Taco so i gotta redoo allll my steering,buy a D44 waggy axle and completely rebuild it and this that and the other with a grand total of $3k but im runnin IFS and can go threw 98% of URE with open diffs on 35's with 3:91 gears all been pushed by 4 squirels (i give them alot of nuts) im just tryin to figure out if i wanna SAS my daily driver or buy a trail rig??? probaly gonna sas the taco...who knows.Bottom line.WE BUILD EM' TO BREAK EM' SO BREAK EM' WE WILL!!!!

mudslinginyota said:
im just tryin to figure out if i wanna SAS my daily driver or buy a trail rig???

Trail rig.

I have wheeled my daily driver for years and never had a problem. Its a SAS '91 pickup on 38.5's and until recently had toyota axles and a welded rear (now has 3/4 tons and a welded rear and still drove almost every day). I did every bit of uwharrie a number of times and drove it home. the only problem that has left me needing to work on it after a run is the u bolts in the rear want to loosen up, but i have never had to take a day from work to work on it after wheeling.
As for the SAS it is pretty easy if you fab up some of the parts yourself. The biggest cost is the axle, gears, lockers, and the crossover steering. If you can get the gears set up by yourself or a buddy that will save on cost. I made the hangers and set up the gears on mine and that saved me a lot, i spent $30 on the metal instead of a couple hundred dollars and i only spent about $500 on gears instead of the $1200 to $1500 i was quoted from galloways.

i wheel my SASd DD
ai22.photobucket.com_albums_b323_JonMetty_IMG_3710.jpg

Ratlabguy;
The first thing to normally go is the idler arm if it is not braced. I never had one break, but I bent a few! That seems to be the weakest point in the IFS, after that its the CVs.;)
Now I wheel it with a SAS.
awww.se4rj.com_gallery_albums_userpics_10015_normal_EC4RJ306068.jpg

Heres a couple pics of mine after the 3/4 tons were on and done.
ai25.photobucket.com_albums_c53_toyota231_toyotapicsatsams2.jpg

ai25.photobucket.com_albums_c53_toyota231_Picture040.jpg

ai25.photobucket.com_albums_c53_toyota231_toyotapicsatsams1.jpg

And dont hate on the zip ties holding the signals on :huggy:
While im at it ill throw in a pic of my SAS 4runner
ai25.photobucket.com_albums_c53_toyota231_30fcc5c7.jpg

Back