I'm looking for 2 good campgrounds .....

Lizooki

Samurai Frogger
I want to find a couple of good campgrounds to become a regular camper.
I want to find one at the beach, NC or SC and one in the mountains .... above the heat 2-3 hours from Winston Salem.
Nice places near stuff to do, good amenities at the grounds ( a pool would be great) and decent prices.
I DO NOT want one of the million site resorts. I'll get a motel before I pay 60-70 bucks a night to camp.

The truth is, I would be good with something like Arrowhead or Badin Lake CG, but I good keep Momma and the kids happy.

If anyone is familiar with Claytor Lake State Park CG ..... some thing like that would be good for Mountains, and I would like a campground at the beach to at least have a beachfront.

Thanks,

Matt

I spent pretty much every summer at Claytor. Plenty of days in July and August when it wasn't warm enough to go swimming... and skiing was pretty terrible for the first minute or so.

I haven't been there in probably 10yrs, though. Can't say what it's like now.

Roan mountain is nice and has a pool just on the other side of banner elk. Fairy Stone up in Virgina is also nice.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

check out the camp grounds around kerscott damn and reservoir near wilksboro. not high not to far from the higher elevation and a easy pull from Winston. Raccoon Hollar a little further up is also a good out of the way place.

Cape Hatteras KOA

just watch the weather forecast the week prior and while you're there, heavy rains turn this place into a pond rather quickly. 2" of standing water in the campsite doesn't make for a good trip, worse if you're a tenter

davidson river CG in brevard,NC is pretty good sliding rock and looking glass falls is with in 5-10 min and blue ridge parkway is a short drive from it and I believe there is a pool there. you can rent tubes and tube the davidson river pretty much whatever you want to do in the mountains in the summer is around there. forget the cost though I don't think it is too bad.

davidson river CG in brevard,NC is pretty good sliding rock and looking glass falls is with in 5-10 min and blue ridge parkway is a short drive from it and I believe there is a pool there. you can rent tubes and tube the davidson river pretty much whatever you want to do in the mountains in the summer is around there. forget the cost though I don't think it is too bad.

We were just there. Nice place. $20/night, I think. No pool, but the river has a wide, deep spot for a swimmin' hole. You have to fight with the "fishermen," though. Also, there's very few power sites, and I don't think there's any with water or sewer hookup. If you don't mind dry camping, it's very nice.

just watch the weather forecast the week prior and while you're there, heavy rains turn this place into a pond rather quickly. 2" of standing water in the campsite doesn't make for a good trip, worse if you're a tenter

They don't call it "sea level" for nothing....

check out the camp grounds around kerscott damn and reservoir near wilksboro. not high not to far from the higher elevation and a easy pull from Winston. Raccoon Hollar a little further up is also a good out of the way place.

steele creek park in morganton

x2 on both of these.

Steele Creek is awesome. COLD water to swim in, laid back and stuff for the kids to do. No reservations and probably 1.75 - 2 hours for you.

Fort Hamby and Bandits Roost are both on the Kerscott Resevoir. I've stayed at Fort Hamby multiple times and it is nice with a beach area. Actually camping with some folks (including Don Vito from a few posts up) at Bandits Roost for the first time in August....it gets booked up quick like.

There is one in Burnsville right along the South Toe River....dont know the name. But Its like $10/night

Back