Inflation

1111111111113hbli8dnrx891_jpg-2438366.JPG

750B more to money laundering Ukraine.
Source?

Not saying we won't have, but I'm only seeing that's the estimated cost of recovery

So with all this inflation and talk of repo cars are we about to see soem good deals on repo tractors and equipment? Asking for a friend...
Doubtful, equipment can be written off by the majority of people who buy it new AND it is not typically a luxury item. If anything, you might start to see sub 20hp units come into the used/repo market.

All the good (old) equipment, seems to be made of gold and is prized for it's lack of complexity.....wish I had bought a couple dozen MF35's back in the day!

Doubtful, equipment can be written off by the majority of people who buy it new AND it is not typically a luxury item. If anything, you might start to see sub 20hp units come into the used/repo market.
You'd be surprised. I had a neighbor with a grading company, Cat 953C and mid sized excavator and a few other things, had owned the machines over 10 years, still hadn't paid them off, and had 2 mortgages on his house related to it. He ended up selling them for a song around 2010ish when the business went under (if I had know what he was selling them for, even I would have bought them :laughing:), and the house went a few years later. Official story was they "sold the house back to the bank, it wasn't a foreclosure" ;)

Last edited:
You'd be surprised. I had a neighbor with a grading company, Cat 953C and mid sized excavator and a few other things, had owned the machines over 10 years, still hadn't paid them off, and had 2 mortgages on his house related to it. He ended up selling them for a song around 2010ish when the business went under (if I had know what he was selling them for, even I would have bought them :laughing:), and the house went a few years later. Official story was they "sold the house back to the bank, it wasn't a foreclosure" ;)
I bought my house on a short sale. I saw some stuff on FB today that made em wonder.

Equipment running people seem to love to finance their stuff to the hilt so they "don't have any money in it". That strategy works real good during good times. It all goes back to the dealer in bad times though.

From a food producer inflation standpoint, it hasn't slowed down yet. We had a price increase a month and a half ago, and as of yesterday, our cost increases have eaten into close to half the margins we put in. Another round of increases is in the works for us. We hate having to go up on our customers, but we can't afford to be their buffer against inflation.

Equipment running people seem to love to finance their stuff to the hilt so they "don't have any money in it". That strategy works real good during good times. It all goes back to the dealer in bad times though.

From a food producer inflation standpoint, it hasn't slowed down yet. We had a price increase a month and a half ago, and as of yesterday, our cost increases have eaten into close to half the margins we put in. Another round of increases is in the works for us. We hate having to go up on our customers, but we can't afford to be their buffer against inflation.
What you produce? My cost are easily 50% higher then last year and we quit buying alcohol at the grocery store.

You DID just get back from Harlan, didn't you? Now I know where you get your alcohol....
I was referring to beer and wine. The wife is on a new diet/lifestyle thing and banned it from the house for the most part. So I started trying some of the cheaper bourbons. I was given a mason jar from a friend that came down from Chattanooga.

YOY weekly earnings increase 4/21 to 4/22 from BLS:

1658241433850.png

1658241467909.png

Having a conversation with my wife...
Me: All money is imaginary value anyway
Her: But all of society agrees to imagine the same thing.

:laughing:
She got me there!

I was talking with a co-worker who has a YJ and is buying a car hauler. I was absolutely shocked at the price of trailers. I bought mine new in 2006 from Kaufman, and I guess I haven't looked at prices in many years. With removable fenders and spare tire and wheel, my trailer would be about $5k today. Crazy.

1659366742396.png

I was talking with a co-worker who has a YJ and is buying a car hauler. I was absolutely shocked at the price of trailers. I bought mine new in 2006 from Kaufman, and I guess I haven't looked at prices in many years. With removable fenders and spare tire and wheel, my trailer would be about $5k today. Crazy.

View attachment 377733

Now compare your cost to what it was in 1990 and is it really that shocking?

I just bought a 7x18 14k trailer from max-built for $5200 otd. Cheapest price I could find and still didn't seem that much. Curious to know what a similar trailer ran pre2020

It is.
I bought this exact trailer in June 2020 for $5040 out the door (and that may have included a small fee for relocating the jack):
1659367401474.png

60% increase in less than 2 years.

I just bought a 7x18 14k trailer from max-built for $5200 otd. Cheapest price I could find and still didn't seem that much. Curious to know what a similar trailer ran pre2020
I have no idea what a car trailer cost in 1990. I think I paid around $2,100 in 2006.

It is.
I bought this exact trailer in June 2020 for $5040 out the door (and that may have included a small fee for relocating the jack):
View attachment 377734

60% increase in less than 2 years.
That is just about exactly what I want. That is pricey!

Holy sheeet.

I bought this last year for <$8k

Now over $10k.
Sell and profit but...then what

Holy sheeet.

I bought this last year for <$8k

Now over $10k.
Sell and profit but...then what

Same thing I think about with selling my car, bought almost 3 years brand new. Could sell it for what I paid or probably 1-3k more than I paid for.

but then what.

My wife spent $4 on a QUART of milk. At least it was “Bobby approved” *sarcasm*

If I ever meet this Bobby guy in the street…

*not sure if this belongs in the inflation or the things that suck ass thread

Back