Insurance.... and Trail Rigs?

What would you do?

• Keep it the way it is.. Full Coverage and Tags

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Drop to just Liability and Tags ($300.00 savings/ yr)

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Drop the Insurance and Tags all together

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

uncc civilengineer

How many of you keep insurance on your trail rig? And if you do what do you keep on it?

Right now I pay approx. $56.00/month for full insurance on my XJ. It never gets driven on the road. I'm also paying taxes on it each year in the range of $100.00...

So... I'm paying approx. $775.00 for insurance and tags...

I've considered dropping the insurance down to just liability and/or dropping it all together...

I mean if I roll the XJ i'm not goign to turn it in on my insurance.. BUT what I would turn in would be if by some chance it were stolen...

What do you think? What would you do?

1. Keep it the way it is (Full Coverage/Tags)
2. Drop to just Liability and Tags (saves a minimal $300.00/yr)
3. Drop both.. insurance and tags

Could we open this to what company to use as well?
Question... If I don't drive this on the road, if I get a tag don't I have to get it inspected?

Answer: if you have it taggged, its supposed to be inspected. If its OBDII (96 and up), it needs the $30 inspection. The state keeps track of this in their computer and hands out healthy fines. If its older, the $9 safety only inspection is required, but I hear :huggy: the state won't track you down if this lapses.

I have liability only on my '77, I'm not sure how much I pay for 6 months. I consider it my DD when its over 60degrees out, so its tagged. Inspection is only the $9 safety deal, property tax in guilford county is $30 a year maybe.

drip it to liability and tags. make sure you get comprehensive, its really cheap for what ya get.

I mean, why have collision on it if its paid for? If an accident is your fault, you're screwed out of the cost of fixing it. If its someone else's fault, its goona get fixed anyway.

$56? Thats a lot, IMO. I pay less than twice that and I have full coverage on the 04 KJ, 01 F250, AND homeowners...

Drop it back to save some coin and spend it on parts you are gonna break

My wheels stick out waaay past the fenders, no windshield, no functioning brake lights or turn signals and I'm sure it goes about the lift law and bumper height requirement. sounds like I'll keep the plan I'm on now :lol:

EDIT: it's a 1975

If its tagged and OBD II, it has to pass inspection, even if it sits in your garage 364 days of the year.

Although, you could tag it as a farm vehicle and there are less restrictions, but I'll let someone that knows more about it explain

I'm running the most basic liability I can get. It costs almost nothing because of the yearly mileage that I use it for. I guess the mileage is public record from state inspections and my insurance company actually notified me that it qualified for the low rate because I drive it less than 3k miles a year.

Drop insurance down to liability and don't renew your registration. If you never drive it on the road then you don't need a tag or inspection.

If you drive it from camp to trail head at places like Uwharrie or from Crawfords to Tellico, Id keep it tagged.

Duane

My Tacoma is tagged, insured, and OBD II. Inspection ran out on it last February < Good thing about having a 95.5 model :D

I hardly EVER drive the Tacoma on the road, but it would only save me $135/year to take it off my plan (I would lose the multi-car discount, which accounts for another $200 or more :rolleyes:

I will take the Tacoma off my plan now since I am selling it, but if I kept it, for $135/year + $28/year tax I would just leave it on.

That is Liability only coverage, which, IMO is all you need for a trail rig.

this is worst case but say you are traveling and it falls off the trailer, the insurance on the trail rig would help it it was numerous cars damaged b/c there may not be enough on just the tow rig to cover that
thats why i keep mine

I was told that insurance would not cover damage from off road use. Years ago a friend drove over an old railroad bridge and it collapsed. Broke axle,tranny and body damage . Insurance denied his claim because he was off road when damage ac cured

I've always only had liability on my rig, I mean, c'mon its a trail rig! My Audi has full coverage for everything. Without any speeding tickets or other charges my insurance is $75/month for both cars.

Needs tags to ride dirt roads at URE and Tellico. You can and will get fined if caught without at ether place. On trails your ok just not access roads.

I have tags, liability, and a stated value policy for my FJ.

Also added a $2k rider for the trailer.

My worst nightmare is that something BAD happens to the tow rig/trailer/trail rig combo as we're heading out to go wheel... Now I'm covered.

We pay $1050 every 6 months for the truck, trailer, FJ, my DD, Nicole's car, and my motorcycle. All of them have full coverage ($500 deductible) Nationwide, been with them for several years, the house is under them too. Both of us have clean driving records.. (for now)

I had a mishap w/ mt tj, on the trail. It involved another vehicle also. My ins. company paid me and the other guy.
But the very next smaller claim I had, that company dropped my like a bad habit. 10 years of good records didnt matter after the 2nd accident. The better the ins. company is on the first incident, the worse they are on the second.

I've always carried liability and tags on my Bronco just in case. But I don't have to have it inspected, it's a 66'.

Back