Insurance Fraud

danielsapp414

Just wondering if anyone knew what the severity of someone giving another person a cut and pasted repair estimate that they said was valid for about a thousand dollars and then the actual damage caused by the person at fault was nearly three hundred less. A friend of mine has been going back and forth with this person about the extreme cost of a repair to his car that was "scratched" by my friend's car supposedly. The plantiff never filed a police report and decided to settle it on his own with my friend. They have been unhelpful and the plantiff's father even called my friend in a threatening tone accusing him of calling his son a liar and telling him he just needed to write him a check for the said amount. I know that this is not the way its to be done and all etc, however, today my friend called the person that wrote the estimate and they informed him that the repairs were less and gave him another estimate and it was obvious that the first estimate given by the plantiff had been cut and pasted so that it appeared that my friend would only be paying for the damage he supposedly caused. What legal action could be taken at this point being that a report was not filed in the first place to our knowledge. I've told him to just tell the guy to screw himself from the begining since it doesn't even look like his fault, but its obvious that there is some illegal reporting going on and I'm pretty sure that insurance fraud is sortof a big deal.

Hopefully this makes sense and someone that knows what they're talking about can shed some light on what can be done. Its a confusing situation thats been going on for nearly a month now. :confused:

Have him send the amount of the correct estimate. The other guy will eventually shut up.

Tell him to pay the repair shop directly rather than paying the friend. I was on the other end of a deal like this once and they thought I was jacking the price up which I wasnt. To end the argument I just had them go discuss the repairs with the shop. They ended up paying more than what was originally expected.

I know all of that and have done all of that...especially telling him to tell them to just shut up, now he's just sick of it all and the kid is on a scholarship to play football to whatever school he goes to and this did happen on that campus and all so i'm wondering what legal stuff can be done to ruin this kids life. I hate to say it but the shady guy is the stereotypical african american male from atlanta ga.

if anyone should be worrying about being legally screwed, it's the guy who's car got hit. like Rob said, if there is no accident report or solid proof otherwise (pics from the scene showing both cars, etc.) then technically your friend doesn't have to pay a dime. to settle it the right way, tell them you'll write the check directly to the repair shop as was mentioned above.

Want me to make you an estimate for $4.38?

^yeah, i've got people that can do the estimate the "right" way also, he's now saying he's going to just tell the guy to take him to court if he's that concerned with it and it doesn't look like he hit him in the first place being that it was with his brother's xj that his brother hit an embankment in the snow with thus severely denting the bumper on the same side of the car that was brushed against supposedly...i think that if rubbing against an inside door of a 1990's cadillac with a steel xj's bumper dented the bumper on the xj and just left what looks like a mark from a shopping cart, no dent, that can be buffed out probably on the cadillac I must have missed that new 1/4'' steel plating that they put on them now

Back