Internet connection BS

kilby

I've got Time Warner... a cable modem running on a built PC with Windows XP Pro, 1 tons, 49" IROKS, Sway-A-Ways, and a crate 350.

Here's the deal:
At least 2x per day, I have to restart the computer to get back the internet connection. The modem works fine, but the PC just loses it sometimes. I'm guessing it has something to do with the dynamic IP address that TW uses. Maybe the computer isn't updating the new address or something? I really don't know. Was wondering if anybody knows this stuff who can help me figure out what I should do.

Are you going throug ha router? Just curious.

We had a similar problem a month ago. The router would just randomly lose its external IP address (like cable modem would stoip talking to it.
Many times if I rebooted the modem, it'd come back. Sometimes it wouldn't for hours.

In the end, I took the modem back to the TW office and they swapped it for me. Guess what? No more problems. Aparently thsi is a common failure - is it the motorola modem?

BTW, TW "tech support" is useless. Don't bother. They will just tell you to reboot your computer. Then to reboot the modem. Then since that obviously don't fix the problem (why would it?) they're only solution is to schedule a tech to come to your house. What a PITA. Like their tech could do anything different.

I have a similar set up at my home and the problem turned out to be the lines running to the house. We had cable and everything else going fine but the connection would drop without warning and no effect to the other cable services. What ever the problem was, the technician was on the light pole from 10-4 pm fixing the issue. I haven't had any problems since the repair.

The hardest part was finding the local number to get in touch with a real service tech and not some foreigner in Canada to take care of my situation.

Go into "my network places", then click "view network connections"
You should see an icon in the window for "local area connection".
Right click this icon and select "repair".
This is what I have to do periodically to make mine work.

Brians911 said:
Go into "my network places", then click "view network connections"
You should see an icon in the window for "local area connection".
Right click this icon and select "repair".
This is what I have to do periodically to make mine work.

thanks for the tip, i've got DSL (im in the sticks) with a wireless router and about once a week the problem described above occurs. the lights blink and the connection icon at the bottom of the screen shows its connected but no internet.. i'll give this a shot before rebooting next time.

Mine turned out to be the modem crapping out.

What I would do is when I lost my connection, start pinging and doing traceroutes to see at what point do you lose connection. i.e.

ping loopback 127.0.0.1 - good
ping my local IP 10.0.0.101 - good
ping my router's gateway - 10.0.0.1 - good
ping the cable model 192.168.100.1 - timed out.

With this information, I went to the TWC office and swapped out the modem. When questioned about "Did you call the Help(less) Desk"? I hit them with the above info and threw in some other technical B.S. (Honestly, bullshit, talking about routing protocols and tables, just to confuse her), and a new modem was put in my hands in under 5 minutes.

That said, I have had HORRIBLE luck with Router/switch/wirelsss AP all-in-one boxes.. They get hot, lose their connection. I now have 3 separate boxes -

the switch (to link my PC, the printer, Nicole's docking station, etc.)
the wireless AP (which is really a wireless router, but I'm not using the router part)
and the broadband router. (which also does the IP phone stuff)

A switch really gets hot when it's working.. by separating it out into its own box with plenty of room for cooling, the setup has been rock-solid for well over a year.

start>run> cmd>ipconfig/release/all>ipconfig/renew/all. This is the win2K pro command line, XP is different but, I dont have XP handy to get you the line. ipconfig runs under a DOS shell, if nothing else grab a dos prompt somewhere and cd .. back to c:\

See if it reassignes a different IP. For most routers the ip for setup is 192.169.1.1 unless its been changed to 192.168.1.2. Once in the router setup make sure its configured for a static IP for the computer and dynamic for the modem. This way the router keeps the connection alive by swapping IP's as needed. The PC always see's the same IP from the router. If you have mulitble machine, remember the boot of the network running static ips. The router will hand the ip's out as 192.168.1.101, 192.168.1.102 and so on.

Sometimes the modems ip is also 192.168.1.1 and most default pass's for them are

admin
or
admin
admin

These also apply to routers. :smokin:

If you want, you can force change the routers setup addy to 192.168.1.2 and leave the modem as 192.168.1.1. I know on sprint dsl, the modem will get irate if you change the ip. :lol:

Back