Iron Rock Off Road TJ steering

^seems like a lot of work

never used that system have a rustys kit now i plan on switching to this one in the next year http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJ/1TNST-OTK.html
^^ this one sucks & you will soon have a "DEAD" spot in your steering soon after install ^^

Does anyone have any experience or opinion on this steering kit? I need to upgrade my steering to something stronger and still have good on road characteristics because I do drive on the road a lot.

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/TJ_XJ_ZJ 5_8 OTK Steering System Install.pdf
this is a good kit & no bump steer ^^^^^

Get the currie setup if you want it to drive the best and be stronger. Many other designs will introduce bump steer.
& ^^^ this is the best set up for a XJ,TJ,ZJ^^ IMHO

ALL JUST MY .02

Give Chris @MarsFab a shout. His steering set is awsome. Drives great on the road and is tough as nails. Its also local made parts. I always like to support local buisness whenever possible.

I think I have decided to go with the WJ knuckle swap and tie rod flip.

I already have a drop down bracket on the frame side. Do you think I will still need the one on the axle?

The WJ swap is more involved than most think if you DD your jeep. If you want to keep your sway bar you will need to relocate the axle end mounting points. you will need to move your track bar to the top of your axle or you will have bump steer. you have to buy high dollar rotors or modify rotors yourself. Its a pain to say the least for just so so results. A lot of people run it, but a lot of people buy rough country or ebay lift kits. Just cause everyone is doing it doesnt make it a good thing. Hell people for voted obama into office so he must be good right?

The WJ swap is more involved than most think if you DD your jeep. If you want to keep your sway bar you will need to relocate the axle end mounting points. you will need to move your track bar to the top of your axle or you will have bump steer. you have to buy high dollar rotors or modify rotors yourself. Its a pain to say the least for just so so results. A lot of people run it, but a lot of people buy rough country or ebay lift kits. Just cause everyone is doing it doesnt make it a good thing. Hell people for voted obama into office so he must be good right?
RIGHT!

The reason I had decided to do this was bc I wanted to get rid of the stock style steering. I like the crossover steering and through the junk yard we use at our shop I could get the knuckles and calipers for free. I would just have to buy the other components, and redrilling the rotors to fit my axles wouldnt be a problem for me. I just havent seen much else out there thats worth spending money on. Yeah I could buy some of these kits that beef everything up but im still stuck with the y style steering.

Yeah I could buy some of these kits that beef everything up but im still stuck with the y style steering.

There is nothing wrong with the stock style steering on a TJ. The Currie kit is one of the best driving steering, and strongest setups you can put on a stock axle jeep.

Take a look at marsfabs steering he sells for a xj/tj. There should should be a good pic in most recent build thread.

There is nothing wrong with the stock style steering on a Stock TJ. The Currie kit is one of the best driving steering, and strongest setups you can put on a stock axle jeep.
Fixed it for ya. Once you lift it, geometry comes into play, and goes out of whack when the suspension cycles. Thats not to say it doesn't function, but there is something wrong with it.

Exactly. Im havin to run a huge drop pitman arm and my steering angles at the tie rod ends are still terrible. I was thinking if I did the wj swap with the tie rod flip it would pick my steering up off the rocks and the crossover steering would perform way better than my setup now.

Fixed it for ya. Once you lift it, geometry comes into play, and goes out of whack when the suspension cycles. Thats not to say it doesn't function, but there is something wrong with it.

Mine is lifted and the geometry is good. No drop pitman arm, no bump steer, no dead spots, nothing.

Inverted T setups cause more issues then they solve. Most crossover kits to do right will cost much more than the currie setup and a lot more involved on a stock axle TJ. There is a reason the currie steering is on more stock axle jeeps than any other steering. You can do a TRE flip with it as well.

Lift should not be an issue. If the lift become greater than reasonable pitman arm drop would dictate, then reshape the drag link. I actually prefer doing this to extreme drop pitman arms because of the 'off-center' loading of the sector shaft. (This has limits as well, but I hope you're not lifting it THAT much! LOL!)

We have MANY, both crossover and "Inverted T" set ups out there and have had zero complaints. We have put them on near stock height jeep to 6" lift stuff. The dead spot, if done correctly is no more than a stock set up. Most people would never notice it. (But there is a pretty simple cure for any excessive "dead spot" as well.)

Back