Is a side marker light required in NC?

YeepieJeepie

Hey All,

I'm putting tube fenders on my Jeep YJ. They don't come with a marker light.

Do I need to fab something up, or just not worry about it?

Yes, side markers and reflectors are required, but it seems like its rarely enforced. I've never heard of anybody getting a fixit ticket/warning, but I did get hassled at NC inspection once for having my rear-sides missing. I drove home, found some lenses in my junkboxes, then passed inspection. Never went back to that place :fuck-you:

You just put lenses on, no lights? LOL

I may just fab something up and put a small light and reflector on there. It shouldn't be too hard. I don't want to give any cops or inspectors any reason to give me a hard time if I can avoid it.

From what I understood, it could be just a cheap stick-on reflector.

You just put lenses on, no lights? LOL

I may just fab something up and put a small light and reflector on there. It shouldn't be too hard. I don't want to give any cops or inspectors any reason to give me a hard time if I can avoid it.

I was always breaking the lenses while wheeling, I had the lights and harness tucked up out of the way. When I failed inspection, I'm not sure if the lamps were good, but the red flag to the inspector was the empty hole in my fenders where the lenses/lamp was supposed to be.

The reflectors are integral to OEM lenses (take a flash photo of any vehicle at night, you'll see the reflectors).
I doubt any cop or inspector would call you out for having lights without reflector, but as mentioned above, a small stick on deal should be good enough.

Back