Is anyone from Asheville?

GubNi

8 lug disc brakes?
I'm just an hour from Asheville and wondering where you guys go wheeling at? We have a trail here called Bumpus Cove at exit 18 on I-26 if you guys are interested. I'm sure theres several trails down your way.

Hey there
I'm from Marshall, so bumpus cove is only like 45 min from me. Want to go next weekeknd?(the 27th or 28th)

All the good stuff has been bought up real estate developers around here in atown. So nothing local we've just been going to Harlan, tellico, and DPG. I'd like to go up there with you folks if it is open to non members, blynyrd there is a few of us going with some of the j city guys to calantee on the 27 if you'd like to join us. pm if you want.
later,
Eric

I'm between Asheville and Johnson City in Burnsville. The
only thing close is Callantee.
I would like some info on those in Elizabethon if you don't
care. Would like ride with you guys sometime. Thanks

All the good stuff has been bought up real estate developers around here in atown. So nothing local we've just been going to Harlan, tellico, and DPG. I'd like to go up there with you folks if it is open to non members, blynyrd there is a few of us going with some of the j city guys to calantee on the 27 if you'd like to join us. pm if you want.
later,
Eric
Little Stoney would kinda be a waste of your time Eric, unless you just want to go for the scenery, which is nice. Bumpuss is fun but not very hard. You would like it in your runner though, at least once.

I'm just south of Asheville. There's some unmaintained public roads west of Asheville off of I-40 that I've ridden on. My club almost went to Bumpus Cove a couple months back, but we ended up only having two rigs volunteer, so we decided to try it some other time.

I'm just south of Asheville. There's some unmaintained public roads west of Asheville off of I-40 that I've ridden on. My club almost went to Bumpus Cove a couple months back, but we ended up only having two rigs volunteer, so we decided to try it some other time.

I am originally from Hendersonville, back 10 years ago there used to be some good public spots to ride

we used to go across Pinnacle mtn rd, and a few spots down towards lake Ager

I heard the land down in Lake Ager was sold for a golf course,and that pinnacle mtn road was closed to everyone except local traffic

we used to have some good times fourwheelin

I also remember being a Kid and riding in Dads old 66 Bronco up to Shining Rock on the parkway. We used to spend a day taking that old 4 wheelin road back in there to pick the wild blueberries

those were the good days

You can still go across Pinnacle Mtn Rd. Nobody there keeping anyone out. Never been down to Lake Ager. Other than Pinnacle, not much to do right around Hendo unless you've got private land.

Little Stoney would kinda be a waste of your time Eric, unless you just want to go for the scenery, which is nice. Bumpuss is fun but not very hard. You would like it in your runner though, at least once.

You might want to check out Little Stoney again. The creek has been opened up. I haven't been lately, but I was told it can be very challenging.

we used to go across Pinnacle mtn rd.
I heard the land down in Lake Ager was sold for a golf course,and that pinnacle mtn road was closed to everyone except local traffic

I also remember being a Kid and riding in Dads old 66 Bronco up to Shining Rock on the parkway. We used to spend a day taking that old 4 wheelin road back in there to pick the wild blueberries
those were the good days

Hey fellas, I'm just south of Asheville in Arden. I think the 4x4 roads off of I-40W is the Hurricane Creek area (right behind mile marker 8). Also, I've herd stuff about Pinnacle Mtn and Couch Mtn. Anyone know where they are and what the deal is?

Guffey, can you still ride anywhere in the Shining Rock area? My father-in-law was planning a camping trip up that way in the next month or so, and we were planning on taking my jeep. (He hasn't been up there in the last 10 years.)

I don't think anyone has mentioned Beasley Knob down in Blairsville, Ga. Its an OHV park about 1.5 hours from Asheville, Most of it is Blue trails and not quite as hardcore as Tellico.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Beasley Knob down in Blairsville, Ga. Its an OHV park about 1.5 hours from Asheville, Most of it is Blue trails and not quite as hardcore as Tellico.

Feel free to post your "1.5 hours from Asheville" route for the rest of us!

The first time I went, the rain fell while we were there = insane slick... the last time, the rangers locked the gates "because of excessive rain" despite the fact we had folks coming from all over the SE. IOW, not that bad when it's dry, but a death wish when it's not!

We ended up riding a nearby WMA... Nothing hard, but after 300 miles to ride and they closed on us :shaking:

I also remember being a Kid and riding in Dads old 66 Bronco up to Shining Rock on the parkway. We used to spend a day taking that old 4 wheelin road back in there to pick the wild blueberries those were the good days
They still open that road in the fall I ride it about every year. You can't go all the way to shining rock anymore but you can drive it about 3 miles.

They still open that road in the fall I ride it about every year. You can't go all the way to shining rock anymore but you can drive it about 3 miles.

last time I went up there they added a gate at the entrance

Shining Rock is a very cool place If any of you guys ever get up that way

there were some times when a 4wd was manditory for that road, I dont know If it's changed

Lake Ager was a place that not many people knew about, there was a spot down there we called the "HOLE", you might get out of it and you might not, sometimes it was 2 ft of water and sometimes it was 6-8 ft of water in that spot

I was in a 97 XJ about 10 years ago, last time I was there, we where the first to go through and the last at that time, the XJ had water coming in from the windows

boy to be young and dumb again

Feel free to post your "1.5 hours from Asheville" route for the rest of us!
The first time I went, the rain fell while we were there = insane slick... the last time, the rangers locked the gates "because of excessive rain" despite the fact we had folks coming from all over the SE. IOW, not that bad when it's dry, but a death wish when it's not!
We ended up riding a nearby WMA... Nothing hard, but after 300 miles to ride and they closed on us :shaking:

I went to Young Harris College (5 minutes from Blairsville) for two years to play baseball, so I made the drive from Asheville (home) to YHC many, many times. I went I-40W to 23S/74W to 64 to 76.

I could get from Asheville to Sylva in right under an hour, and Sylva to YHC in 45 minutes. My 1.5 hour times were while driving late at night with NO traffic. It isn't hard to make it in 1:45. The key is not getting stuck behind any 18 wheelers on the highway that goes through the Nantahala National Forest(and of course about 10 over the speed limit:fuck-you:).

Oh yeah, and you're right, when Beasley Knob is wet its just plain dangerous. I have slid down too many of the slick ass clay hills just hoping that something other than a tree would stop me.

last time I went up there they added a gate at the entrance
Shining Rock is a very cool place If any of you guys ever get up that way

They usually open the gate about sept. Its not a real bad trail i used to do it in my rubi when it was stock but the skid plates got some good use.

You might want to check out Little Stoney again. The creek has been opened up. I haven't been lately, but I was told it can be very challenging.
You need to stay out of the creek. I'm not saying I haven't been up it but the Little Stoney trail is an actual Forest Service road and deviating off it is highly illegal.

rradforder,
couch has kinda been shut down for awhile now, although you can still get onto it off of Terry's Gap Rd but you better have a pretty good rig to get up it. Another good trail that is in chimmey rock , is Boy's Camp. I hear that they have started to develop it but it was a great trail to wheel on. As far as i know Major Mt. has been shut down for a long long time.

I went up Couch Mtn a couple of weeks ago. Had a friend of the family show me up there. The jeep did pretty well. We went up the mini rock ledge at the lookout point. My "guide" said he'd never gone up it that way, only down, so he was impressed with the WJ. I did get some custom pinstriping from the overgrown trail, and a pretty good dent in my pass. rocker panel. I'm looking for someone to go with me when I go back to do the trail that goes up Hutch Mtn. I've also gotta find someone that'll weld my KOR sliderz on before I go back.

I'm looking for something to do over the weekend of April 6-8th. If anyone wants to get together shoot me a PM.

im near asheville here too.

ive been up hurricane creek recently, and major mountain a long time ago. i dont know of anywhere else nearby though....

id be interested in wheelin sometime if anybody wants to.

Back