Jeep 4.0 "0331" cracked head

Bogleparsons

So a question for the Jeep gurus.

My sons 00' xj has the dreaded cracked 0331 head.

A friend of mine has another head I can get very cheap. But it's another 0331 casting. It's in good working condition .

Would you use this head and gamble on some decent mileage out of it or, spend more money and get a tupy or another head.

Buy any head other than 0331.. add bracket to hold coil rail or adapt a 3.3/3.8 coil and run wires to eliminate the coil rail, which I've had problems from the rails aftermarket, almost as bad as the horizantal tower gm caps for the same reason, internal blow outs.

Ok after sleeping on it I'm going to replace it with another casting.
There's one for sale on FB from an 01' zj that's already been milled and re-valved for $200.

I'll use the caravan coil packs with it.

Been down this road. I used an older engine all together with the better head 063 I think??

Anyway, I simply put the coil rail right on the plugs with no bracket. It fit right enough it wasn’t going anywhere, and there is a big wiring harness that pressed down on it too.
Now I did have to have an adapter plate for the exhaust manifold. This was because I had the 2 cats right off the manifold and needed to keep that. Does this Jeep have the 2 cats like that, plus 1 more further down?

If so I’ll send you more info about what you will need to do.

Been down this road. I used an older engine all together with the better head 063 I think??

Anyway, I simply put the coil rail right on the plugs with no bracket. It fit right enough it wasn’t going anywhere, and there is a big wiring harness that pressed down on it too.
Now I did have to have an adapter plate for the exhaust manifold. This was because I had the 2 cats right off the manifold and needed to keep that. Does this Jeep have the 2 cats like that, plus 1 more further down?

If so I’ll send you more info about what you will need to do.

I will look today when I get home, and let you know about the cats.

I'm replacing an entire engine in a '01 with a '96. Of course it has the 0630 head on it and the '01 has the 2 pre-cat's, I bought an old style exhaust manifold and I'm going to have o2 bungs welded on and buy a new downpipe and have another bung welded on it since it has 4-o2 sensors.

So as it turns out my sons dad (im stepdad) ordered him a re-worked 0331 head from 99 so we should be good to go.
Thanks for the insights guys.

Back