jeep Comanche

buzzsaw 1995

I just got an 86 jeep Comanche today it's 2.5 4cylinder 4 speed 4x4 has 152k on it is there anything I need to know about them cause I plan on lifting it when I get tax money back

I just got an 86 jeep Comanche today it's 2.5 4cylinder 4 speed 4x4 has 152k on it is there anything I need to know about them cause I plan on lifting it when I get tax money back

It's pretty much all the same as a Cherokee of the same year for lift stuff, If you have the 2.5 and 4 speed, you should also have 4.10 gearing in the axles. The 86 is the worst year for engine swap options, so get used to that 2.5. The front axle disconnect on them sucks, and you'll probably find it doesn't work.

What he said. What size lift tires are you thinking? My first xj was an 84 with the 2.5. Don't think you are going to drop a 4.0 in either. It will go but there were some changes between 86 - 87 to make them fit.

Plan to regear if to 4:88 if you intend to go with 32-33's.
Plan to find a HP Dana 30 out of a newer XJ when you regear.
Plan to have to cut the "uniframe" to replace the rear leaf springs-You might get lucky but those bolts are usually rusted in place.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that model would have the closed loop style radiator meaning it does not have a radiator cap. It is an easy swap to a newer style with a cap; less problematic with air bubbles.

Plan to have tax money spent before you even get it year after year and dump loads of money into this thing if you are getting into wheeling....

Plan to regear if to 4:88 if you intend to go with 32-33's.
Plan to find a HP Dana 30 out of a newer XJ when you regear.
Plan to have to cut the "uniframe" to replace the rear leaf springs-You might get lucky but those bolts are usually rusted in place.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that model would have the closed loop style radiator meaning it does not have a radiator cap. It is an easy swap to a newer style with a cap; less problematic with air bubbles.

Plan to have tax money spent before you even get it year after year and dump loads of money into this thing if you are getting into wheeling....
I don't have any experience with Comanches or early XJs, but sounds like you need to pass that on to the next guy and find a mid-late '90s xj with a 4.0.

By I plan on keeping the 4 banger it's got 152k original miles on it for now it's seeing a 3 inch lift and 31s it will be daily driver/ weekend wheeler basically a dual purpose rig

Back