Jeep Quadra Trac I

BabyE

Hey Everybody!

I was wondering about the reliabilty of the Quadra Trac I 4wd on the beach.

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Lardedo with this 4wd system in it. It is full-time 4wd. I have researched all over the internet and cannot seem to find a straight answer. I have read that you should of course lower tire pressure 10-20 pounds and turn off traction control. I have not found out if anyone has tested this and had a successful 4wd experience.

Any advise is greatly appreiciated!

~BabyE

what model is the jeep? for light wheeling with the factory engine, tranny, axles and gearing it is ok, but definitely not for anything more.

I don't plan on doing anything too intense with it, but I want to go out on the beach and maybe a few trail rides in the woods. I live near the coast so no big rocks for me to contend with.

As for the Jeep... It is a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V6 3.7L. Like I said, I don't plan climbing any rocks or even taking it muddin. Just beach and 'calm' trails.

Thanks rustyolred!

~BabyE

should be no probs then

As said above, in stock form, tires and so on you should be fine. One of the biggest reason for failures in a Quadra-Crap system is over heating, usually caused by low fluid levels. Keep an eye out for leaks and keep levels up to max. Airing down on the beach is a must. A bigger footprint will get you around on the sand a lot easier. I would invest in a small air compressor also, so you can air up after your time wheeling out there!
Good luck and enjoy your new ride!

Also you MUST air down equally if you intend to achieve any speed. Get a major differentiation in tire pressure and start driving and you will see your chain personally.

Thanks a lot everyone! I was a little concerned since I cannot switch to 4W Lo. Even vehicles that can switch to Lo have a hard time in soft dry sand. I think everything will go smoother for me if I plan to go out after some rain has been able to pack down the sand a little.

Down the road a little ways I would like to have a better 4WD system installed....but that might be a little while....

Thanks again for the help guys!

I have had the following vehicles out on the beach at Cape Hatteras:

2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara
2001 Nissan Xterra
2000 Toyota Tundra
1990 Jeep XJ
1990 Nissan D21

All of those vehicles had a low range but I never used it on any of them. I just aired down the tires and had no problems. The Tundra probably did the best because it had the widest track and most ruts are created by full size trucks. Narrow vehicles have to fight it more, but I never had a problem with any of them. The only time I got stuck was in my Xterra when I forgot to put it in four wheel drive. No chance of that in your Cherokee.

Thanks a lot everyone! I was a little concerned since I cannot switch to 4W Lo. Even vehicles that can switch to Lo have a hard time in soft dry sand. I think everything will go smoother for me if I plan to go out after some rain has been able to pack down the sand a little.
Down the road a little ways I would like to have a better 4WD system installed....but that might be a little while....
Thanks again for the help guys!

low range = equal more torque and less wheel speed. Not even on my list of beach wants....of course I have very limited sand driving, and I can see where wheel spin could be bad, but I can imagine a need for low range

I took everyones kind advise and had a great day at the beach. I just wanted to pop up and thank you guys for answering my questions. I aired down my tires and had a easy time getting around on the beach. Thanks again...

~BabyE

Back