Jeep Update v4.5

Yay!Gurrr

Better Faster Stronger
Hell with the count down, sleep is optional at this point :flipoff2:

Got my skid bracing roughed in. Holds the skid and acts as a muffler guard and ebrake disk guard. Plugs into 2 posts welded to the main crossmember, and attaches on each rear leaf spring bolt/hanger...

Did the hood latches so it wont blow off on the trip up..

hey shawn !!! I got your shackle hanger !! :flipoff2:

Attachments

• DSCF0130.JPG
    DSCF0130.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 663
  • DSCF0128.JPG
    DSCF0128.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 737
Not really related, but what's with the army football helmet? You a West Pointer?

Ok. just thought I'd ask.

rattlecanpaint said:
You a West Pointer?

:lol: :lol: If ya know yag, that's funnay.

Keep at it Mikey!

I see two things with that shackle which I question. First off, the angle looks like it might limit your droop. Second, it looks like a Chevy or Ford tension style shackle. If so, you may want to plate the sides of them. I used some trailer shackles I picked up at Northern. Already had the right size holes in them. I think there was a thread somewhere on this board about shackles with some pictures.

Nice Jeep. I've been following your progress.

DK

drkelly said:
I see two things with that shackle which I question. First off, the angle looks like it might limit your droop.

Probably, but I don't see (without major increase in height) any way to get the fixed end further forward.

Second, it looks like a Chevy or Ford tension style shackle. If so, you may want to plate the sides of them. I used some trailer shackles I picked up at Northern. Already had the right size holes in them. I think there was a thread somewhere on this board about shackles with some pictures.

The look decently thick to me (1/4"?) except up top, you're right... I run 3/8" just so they don't have to be thought about...

Mike, I know you're under the gun, but I would round off those edges before you slice your thigh open walking around the back, bro... or if you slip getting something out of the back, etc...

You are right. I took a closer look and it would definitely be MAJOR work to move the fixed eye forward. If those are in fact Chevy tension style shackes, then they are probably only about 0.130-0.150" thick. I think that is what mine were. The trailer shackles I plated them with were about 0.230" or something if I remember correctly. I know the combined thickness was 3/8" when welded together. The stockers are fairly wimpy and they can get away with it I guess because they are designed to be run in tension.

they are XJ shackles, not sure how they run stock, but they are flimsy, id never plan to run them long term, but they will hold for this trip, thats the sole reason for them at this point. (ill grind off the edges for you rich ) Seriously i plan to lengthen the frame a some and do a normal, similer to stock shackle setup out there along with a stronger frame cap/bumper. hmmm speaking of which i need a rear tow point :)

plus i need to let the leafs settle in so i can get a better idea of flex they are capable of..

Thanks guys ! I dont mind the questions, as i have underbuilt things in the past...

yager said:
t but they will hold for this trip,

Uh-oh.. I've heard that before... :flipoff2:

lookin good yag. id love to roll with you guys buy my heap is in peices again...more upgrades ;) When you get we will have to hit up the trails.

front shocks mounted, gas tank straped in, skid finihed/monted, swaped in new alternator.

left to do:
mount spare tires ?
mount and wire rear lights
cut rear fenders
finish wiring headlights
bleed brakes one more time
tailpipe

load truck/trailer :)
----------
Soft doors
bikini top
camping crap

what day is today?

holy crap! that under armor could double for APC protection. plannin on gettin high centered? Looks awsome dude.

LukeandtheTJ said:
holy crap! that under armor could double for APC protection. plannin on gettin high centered? Looks awsome dude.

The skid looks thick but it's aluminum. It's so high up I don't think it gets tested often.

I've had that "problem" with my TJ. After putting on the Goferit belly up skid I never seem to hit anything to do any testing. I mean I've whacked it a few times but never like I did the stock low hanging skid.

Back