Jeep Wrangler Help

BenLC

I am looking at buying my wife a used Jeep Wrangler 97 or newer, and I need some help with things to look for.

She will not do much driving offroad maybe the easy trail @ uwharrie at best. Mainly just be a fun SUV for her to have.

1st question is 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder? (she wants a manual transmission)
2nd question is what other things are a must have on wranglers?

My price range is under $9000 and I would like to stay as low mileage as possible.

Also, If there is anything else I should look at when buying a wrangler let me know. common problems, bad years, etc.

Thanks
Ben

Go with the 6cylinder.

Some models have a slightly stronger rearend, so look for one with the Dana 44. I believe they were available in the models with the 30" wheel and tire package and the towing package. You can probably just search for that online.

They made some good improvements in 2001, but got worse in 2004. Lots of little changes, like better gas tank skidplate and such. I believe the 2000 model has the most power. The 2000 and later models have a different transmission, that is supposedly stronger, but most everyone has issues with.

I would probably look for a 99 with 6 cylinder, 5 spd, A/C, and the Dana 44 rearend. As far as mileage, I wouldn't get one with 60-75k miles, because thats when everything seems to go wrong or wearout. Past that most everything has been replaced.

Also the 2000+ have distributorless ignition and a redesigned exhaust manifold that isn't prone to cracking like the older ones. Get the 6 cylinder.

Actually, I had a cracked header in my 2000 when I pulled the motor, but I didn't know it because you can't see the crack until the intake manifold is out of the way.

I've got almost 90k on my 2001 with no manifold cracks. From what i've heard, and it's happened to me, almost all stock radiators will crack and leak so you might want to check to see if that's been replaced, preferably with an all steel radiator.

I would probably look for a 99 with 6 cylinder, 5 spd, A/C, and the Dana 44 rearend. As far as mileage, I wouldn't get one with 60-75k miles, because thats when everything seems to go wrong or wearout. Past that most everything has been replaced.

What went wrong?

Just my opinion but I would check out boards like this one, jeepsunlimited.com, jeepforum.com, etc. I would also recommend buying someone else's junk who has already invested in a lift, bigger tires etc since you will end up paying about KBB for it anyway. IMHO it is usually cheaper to fix someone else's investment than spend all your money on that same equipment. Good luck!

Joel said:
Just my opinion but I would check out boards like this one, jeepsunlimited.com, jeepforum.com, etc. I would also recommend buying someone else's junk who has already invested in a lift, bigger tires etc since you will end up paying about KBB for it anyway. IMHO it is usually cheaper to fix someone else's investment than spend all your money on that same equipment. Good luck!

Yeah kind of like adopting a kid when he turns 4, no more paying for diapers and no more weting the bed. Get one that is already fixed.

Back