JK Dana 44 rear 3.21>4.10 swap (required parts?)

Bikeskinz

A wreck damaged my stock Dana 30 front axle assembly so I just went ahead and upgraded by purchasing a new OEM Rubicon front axle assembly, it has the 4.10 gears. I'm getting this installed now leaving the front drive shaft out untill I get my gears for the rear.

I'll be getting the gears installed at another shop (Mars Fab)later, but I was wanting to preshop the parts for the best price and also have everything so nothing's left out in order to save time when I drop it off (it's my daily driver).

My rear axle is a factory Dana 44 with 3.21 gears. I know I'll need to buy the ring and pinion (obviously), but do I need no buy a carrier? also would I need to buy a seal, bearings, and shim kit? My '07 JK is on about 50k miles now. Please send links of best prices on these parts if anyone would like to help me in my search, thanks!

Also for reference here's the VIN Sheet with all the listed options:

http://www.decodethis.com/Default.aspx?tabid=65&vin=1J4GA39167L113592

Not sure where the carrier break is on the JK 44s but you will need to pick up a Master install kit for the Ring and Pinion. Call ECGS they can get you the best deal and there great to deal with. He will also be able to tell you if you need the Carrier.

Looks like the Carrier break is 3.73 and down, or 3.93 and up.

So according to the info I found, You will need a Carrier. Chase at ECG will know for sure.

ECGS? I'm new to the forum and don't have all the acronyms for the retailers down yet.

East Coast Gear Supply.

aeastcoastgearsupply.com_images_logo_header.png

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/

User "Cperry" on the board

Ok, I've called and confirmed a couple places that I don't need the Carrier. Now I have conflicting places telling me I'd need a non Rubicon JK 4.10 gear set for my Dana 44 because the pinion is different. Can anyone verify this? Also I'm not sure if they said that's because the size or splines?

im no expert, but i would think that since your "upgrade" was to the rubicon 44, then the rear would be the "non rubicon" gear set. but then again, like i said, im no expert

hope this helps

Hey guys here's an update. The shop thats putting in my rubicon front said I already have a 4.10 gear ratio in the back. They confirmed it with my VIN. WWW.decodethis.com was wrong. I was sure it had the 3.21 because I knew I didn't have the towing package, but no. I just saved $500 bucks for parts and install, I think I'll buy a lift kit!

Back