Jk front driveshaft

18_JKU

Looking for a new front shaft for our jk non rubi. Put longer shocks on and now at about an inch from full droop the shaft is contacting the exhaust crossover. Looking at a olivers or Adam’s shaft. Rather support local if shops if I won’t have a problem.

Oliver’s for sure. Dave is a cool guy and also wheels. Excellent service, they also have a very experienced new guy starting Monday, gonna add some excellent talent over there.

Looking for a new front shaft for our jk non rubi. Put longer shocks on and now at about an inch from full droop the shaft is contacting the exhaust crossover. Looking at a olivers or Adam’s shaft. Rather support local if shops if I won’t have a problem.
Does going with a double cardan instead on the cv move it forward enough to clear the exhaust? I assume that's what you're doing.

They also make a spacer kit to move the exhaust towards the rear. Just throwing it out there if looking for a cheap option.

If going with a double cardan, you may need adjustable front arms to dial in pinion angle. Likely you will need to sacrifice caster for pinion angle.
Just a heads up

Last edited:
If going with a double cardan, you may need adjustable front arms to dial in pinion angle. Likely you will need to sacrifice caster for pinion and.
Just a heads up
Yeah I’ve got a set of rock krawler adjustable lowers I’ve seen where guys say around 4.5-5* caster was a good middle ground for both

Yeah I’ve got a set of rock krawler adjustable lowers I’ve seen where guys say around 4.5-5* caster was a good middle ground for both
Depending on lift height, you will likely end up with less caster in order to get the PA dialed in.
When you're tired of the steering being too light and you add some caster back, you'll have driveline vibes.
That's one of the benefits of an aftermarket housing with caster built into it.
Hopefully you can find a happy middle ground

Depending on lift height, you will likely end up with less caster in order to get the PA dialed in.
When you're tired of the steering being too light and you add some caster back, you'll have driveline vibes.
That's one of the benefits of an aftermarket housing with caster built into it.
Hopefully you can find a happy middle ground
I’m only on 2” EVO springs right now but am swapping to rock krawler 2.5”, I’m hoping I don’t gain much height.

With a 2.5 and your driveshaft is contacting your exhaust, your shocks are too long. Keep your factory, and don't open the can of worms
If the springs aren’t coming unseated how could they be too long? Just using every inch of droop it has. Rock krawler recommends these shocks with their 2.5” kits and says that a new shaft is recommended for this reason.

If the springs aren’t coming unseated how could they be too long? Just using every inch of droop it has. Rock krawler recommends these shocks with their 2.5” kits and says that a new shaft is recommended for this reason.
Just get you a new drive shaft, or spacers and rock out. Don’t listen to someone telling you not to open a can of worms, that’s just called modifying a Jeep and one thing leads to another, and another to another. It’s just part of the cycle that has periods of being content in between. He forgot that somewhere, and thinks anyone who thinks different than him is stupid. You don’t need that negativity. Make the mods, take the trip, enjoy the Jeep.

Call Olivers in Winston. His ears must have been burning today

jk.JPG

After reading, reading and reading some more on driveshafts I’ve scared myself out of running a aftermarket shafts on such a low lift height. I’ve found a rancho exhaust crossover that gives more clearance at the driveshaft. So we will see if that gives me all the room I need.

Curious as to what scare you with the after market shaft.

Curious as to what scare you with the after market shaft.
I’ve seen a bunch of people say they have vibrations, and a handful of people that have blown out u joints taking out the transfer case. Not just once but multiple times (quite a few in the rear rather then the front). But I figure all I need is clearance. Staying on 34-35’s, not wanting anymore lift so stock should do me well if I can get more room.

Never had any of those issues. No vibrations. I have been running one for a couple of years, back when I was on 35's.

I did have a double cardan go out on one but that was before Oliver's switched to Spicer double cardan's. They took care of me on that one. The replacement with the Spicer is still going strong.

I have about 20K miles on mine with a after market D shaft as well with no issues. Glad I did not research it :laughing:

Sorry, wasn’t trying to offend, bad attempt at humor.

Back