KDP got me...

Rich

Asshole at large
Yeah, that's what I got for trusting the seller when I asked him to do the KDP tab while he was fixing an oil seal up there, and he said he did it (and put it on the bill of sale) :mad:

My notorious oil leak that was dumping about 1 gallon every 5k miles was indeedy from the dowel pin punching through the side of the timing gear case.

Well, since I'm here in VA Beach anyway, I left the truck with my tranny builder for a trans service, shift point modification, timing advance, and, he said he has had success fixing the timing gear case without having to replace it..

Replacing it is a 15 hour job, and involves pulling the front end apart, and the camshaft has to come out. With my front bumper, a hoist would be needed..

I'll know tomorrow if he was successful...

But, on the bright side, I won't be leaving a mark everywhere I go, and blowing oil on anything following me (including the cruiser on the trailer :mad: ), and the timing advance should net me 1-2 mpg increase, as well as lower EGT's..

Oh well.. pay to play.

Better have it fixed before dayton......................bitch :flipoff2: My fee for delivering the parts the other day to nicole is one passenger seat ride in the CTD....i've heard to much about this thing to have never ridden in it

Josh

well, actually, he called me tonight... the case didn't get punched through, the pin just fell out, but it certainly wasn't tabbed. Part of the oil leak came from the new front seal being hammered into place OVER the old one, driving that onto the crank... the dumbass never removed the old one!!!

The other part of the leak was a small, repairable crack in the cover presumably from the same guy over-torquing the bolts..

Oh, and get this.. my little "miss" at idle turned out to be a broken spring in the fuel delivery valve... that cylinder isn't getting enough fuel... The timing had also slipped from factory setting of 12.5* to around 10*, but is now set at 16.5*...

So with all this messed up, and a broken wastegate actuator, it still put down 290/710 at the wheels.. That's some funny stuff. It's been shown that advancing the timing will give a good 20rwhp.. and a injector not fully fueling, well, that could be anywhere from 1hp to 50hp at my moderate power level... Man, can't wait to get this thing back!

He's hoping to be able to get the replacement springs locally so she'll fully fire on all 6.

I'm glad the front end didn't have to come apart... but yeah, it would be a good time for a different cam, though there are tons of 500+hp guys on stock cams...

Josh - It might not be fully fixed (He's not sure if he'll be able to mod the trans some more) before Dayton, but it'll certainly be ready to tow... Finally found a forged drawbar in a 6" drop, since I seem to run the tongue of the trailer a bit heavy...

Yaaaaay, it's back.. idle is ALOT smoother, but still a tiny bit of lope, he suspects tired injectors at 240k (but honey, I need new injectors because...)... Oil leak is WAY down, I have to check the #6 valve cover gasket though... but i'm only leaking maybe 10% of what it was before. the VC gasket will take that to <5%

The engine is pulling really nice, and my former EGT problems are GONE. I could easily get to 1400* or higher if I kept in it... now, breaking 1250* is tough... I like that.

Trans serviced and adjusted, 12 quarts of fresh tranny juice & a filter, oil leak all but stopped, let's load this bitch up and go wheel!!! wheeeeeeee

Believe me, I was embarrased about leaving spots everywhere... it's like a dog in heat...

Coming back soon, today is all Unix.. Rich don't know Unix.

Rich said:
Yaaaaay, it's back.. idle is ALOT smoother, but still a tiny bit of lope, he suspects tired injectors at 240k (but honey, I need new injectors because...)
Rich, I got the injectors for the Mog rebuilt by the shop in Cary (Diesel Injection). Great place to do business and they know their stuff. They can test your injectors while you wait. I asked to watch and was able to talk quite a bit to the guy about all things diesel.

yeah, the dudes at Diesel Injection are pretty sharp, I aspire to behalf as proficient as they someday, myself being a relitive newb to the game.

Kevin

So who local to Raleigh is good a reasonable to take a CTD to and get the pump timing reset and the straps put on? I can do it but dont have the gear puller for the pump gear. I dont want to buy it to do one either. LOL

So, uh, you're flaming the everliving hell outta the PO on the FJ boards... RIGHT?! I mean damn, what a shitty maneuver. Tranny was bad enough. I'll bet he's popular in his home town, probably does that stuff to his buddies. Glad you got it fixed.

J

Hey cool, didn't know there was a place local that can do anything diesel-related...

As for the PO, I did send some flames before when the tranny puked, and his followers all jumped to his defense. Thing is, his shop didn't actually do the work... so it's debateable about whether he was actually in on it.

I'm actually thinking about calling him and warning him about the shady practices of the shop he used... At this point I can't be mad anymore.

Ratman - I don't know anyone local, wish i did... What do you mean by "straps put on"?

Dude... "in" on it?

Fawk that. The selling points of the vehicle in the first place was the bulletproof trans and all the (otherwise expensive) PM/mod stuff that had been done to it, no?

So it basically turned out to be a huge lemon, none of the stuff that he said was done to it had actually been done, but you can't be mad about it anymore?

I'd be thinking small-claims at this point.

Well, the trans was a POS, but that's ATS's fault. All i can do about that is to warn others about it. The things to be fixed were the oil seal, windshield, and the KDP tabbed.

The windshield was replaced...

Basically, I can't prove that the seller knew about the shitty work done by his diesel shop.

But, the truck was priced right, even if it was stock. It was below book for its condition. (The body is a little rough)

I've just learned that you don't get the seller to fix stuff... you knock it off the price and get it fixed yerself.

saf-t scissors said:
I'd be thinking small-claims at this point.

They'd laugh at you. Unless there was a warrenty in writing on these items, the downside of buying "USED" stuff. It's happened to me buying cars/trucks before, assume the worst,hope for the best, and believe nothing the PO tells you.

The only thing I have in writing was the KDP being tabbed, and it wasn't.

I called the PO's shop in TX, talked with the other owner, and told him what happened, as a heads-up. He was appreciative, and said he was going to look into it.

Bigwoody's words are good ones to remember.

Hey, you know how it goes.....

Everybody would own a CTD if it didn't come with a damn Dodge wrapped around it. ;)

Where are those pics of Rich's busted-ass truck getting towed away?

I mean, er.... I guess I have to be specific. Where are the pics of the time it got towed away by Rob's PSD? :flipoff2:

tow12.jpg

Yeah, laugh it up... I laugh every month when I make the payment that isn't as much as a mortgage. Ya buys a $40,000 truck for less than 1/3 of its new price, you're gonna run into some problems. But, i guess Shawn wouldn't know much about that with HIS tow rig, would he... :flipoff2: right back atcha!

I shoulda bought a damn class A pusher and a cheap DD.

Yeah, see... that's just it. My truck is streetable. No need for a 'tow' rig. Besides, if your experiences with a tow rig are any indication, I guess I should expect them to be in the shop more often than not. What use is that?

Drive your FJ to UT and back. Thrice. Let me know how it works out. ;)

Some useless statistics

How many trip to moab have you made :
shawn = 3
rich = 0
rob = 0

hauled richs truck
rob = 1
rich = 0
shawn = 0

see a pattern here ?

edit: :flipoff2:

Back