Keep my 16.5's? Airing down 16.5's for the beach - how low can I go?

thecarman

Hey! I've got a 1979 Crew Cab Chevy pickup with Cummins turbo diesel. I plan to take it to the Outer Banks several times next year when I go fishing. I've got 16.5x10 aluminum rims and 33x12.50 ATs. I'm thinking of stepping up to 35s, but want to know if I should get different rims before buying new tires. I could get some 16's, or get some H2 17s.

I'd like to stick with the 16.5s I have - they look good, but the lack of safety bead on these rims has me worried about airing down for the beach and losing a rim seal. I usually air down to 20 psi or sometimes 15 in my Burb with 33's on 15-inch rims. How low can I safely go on these 16.5s? I'm not going to wheel this truck - I bought it to be my tow rig and beach camper.

Keep the 16.5s or get something else?

Thanks!
Richard

You should be able to safely go down to around 15lbs or less. I have never had sand pull a bead off. But once I got 35's I never aired down at the outerbanks and drove all over them. They already had enough foot print to keep me afloat.

Richard
I would let the air out until they all come off the beads Then you will know :)

I would say not less than 15lbs

thecarman said:
Hey! I've got a 1979 Crew Cab Chevy pickup with Cummins turbo diesel. I plan to take it to the Outer Banks several times next year when I go fishing. I've got 16.5x10 aluminum rims and 33x12.50 ATs. I'm thinking of stepping up to 35s, but want to know if I should get different rims before buying new tires. I could get some 16's, or get some H2 17s.

I'd like to stick with the 16.5s I have - they look good, but the lack of safety bead on these rims has me worried about airing down for the beach and losing a rim seal. I usually air down to 20 psi or sometimes 15 in my Burb with 33's on 15-inch rims. How low can I safely go on these 16.5s? I'm not going to wheel this truck - I bought it to be my tow rig and beach camper.

Keep the 16.5s or get something else?

Thanks!
Richard

LWB Big Heavy and low preasure on the beach does not go good.
In the sand you have preasure on the side of the tire because of the sand being soft. If you went in a straight line it would be ok but the first turn could pull it off. Make sure you have a good jack and wood to put under it along with a lot of air like a tank or CO2 to re seat it if you want to play with it.
You need to look at the size and type of tire to find what air will work.
A 10 ply may work at 15-20 but a light 4 ply would be 30 psi.
I have run on the beach a lot and with the same truck but different tires run 8psi to 20 psi from tire to tire brands.
I would run 16" or 17" with the locks and not worry with it.
Remember I got some 16" and 33" tires if you want them.
J

Back