Keeping mice and critters out of camper during storage?

Blaze

The Jeeper Reaper
We just bought a nice 29ft camper and are trying to be sure we keep it in good shape. The guy we bought it from had winterized it and part of that was putting mothballs inside of it to keep the mice out. While I know that works and I appreciate the effort, it STINKS inside it. I was showing it to my dad the other night and we came back in the house to drink a few beers and we both smelled like mothballs. :lol:

I've heard things like peppermint oil and stuff like that. Does that really work? I'd much rather have peppermint smell than mothballs.

I used Irish Spring bars of soap instead of moth balls. Used moth balls in storage compartments and basement, Irish spring inside. And of course the peppermint oil. Never really had many issues with mice. Not sure if it was luck or all the deterrents.

I did put sticky pads out and did catch an occasional mouse but nothing problematic.

I use this with no issues so far

I toss the placer packs in out of the way places. It remains sealed unless they chew on the pack and then it's a dehydrator so no smell. Just check them every so often and if one has been opened I swap it out.

Buy an outdoor cat. I found a dead mouse on my front steps this morning that mine killed.

I use this with no issues so far

I bought some of those and put them in the camper. The mothball smell is starting to go away, although now it smells like peppermint scented mothballs inside. :lol: Seems to be going away though.
Buy an outdoor cat. I found a dead mouse on my front steps this morning that mine killed.
Cats are coyote food where I live. A couple of neighbors have had theirs survive, but they are the ones closer to the road.

On first glance I thought the afore mentioned product was "grandpa's nuts". I was like damn that's a weird name choice for literally any product. Not that grandpa gus is much less weird though

I’d install a snek

I bought some of those and put them in the camper. The mothball smell is starting to go away, although now it smells like peppermint scented mothballs inside. :lol: Seems to be going away though.

Cats are coyote food where I live. A couple of neighbors have had theirs survive, but they are the ones closer to the road.
We have the same problem with coyotes. We went to the animal shelter and got two cats. One lasted six months before the coyotes killed her. The other seems to be really smart and has lasted about eight years so far.

I’d install a snek
I think someone around here has killed my sneks. I used to have a huge king snake and a huge black racer. 8 years never saw a copperhead but those big guys would hang out in my backyard. Last year they were gone.....two copperheads on my porch.

Late to this party, but x3 on Grandpa Gus. Been using it for the last two years and no mice or mice turds. use them in the boat and stored AMX as well.

Back