Kid Hauler opinions

Which vehicle best for trips/short commute/reliability?

• Ford Expedition

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • 02-06 Tahoe

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Suburban

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

raleighjeepguy

So the family has outgrown the wj. 2 dogs, 2 kids, the girl, and me on trips in a wj just isn't working out. Haven't ventured outside of jeeps since I was 17 and I'd rather not drive another one of their bastardized versions of technology so thought I'd get some opinions. Got around a 14k pricepoint at the moment but can possibly push that up alil. Commute is only about 20mi a day round trip with usually a trip a month.

*disclaimer-I love jeeps........I hate their attempt at engineering anything that doesn't require a removable top*

I drive a 99' Expedition, I have two sons and a wife that trys to bring everything we own with us on trips and it does good, Even pulling the TJ on a Trailer. Although I would get a Excursion if I did it again, Just due to the add towing weight. Sometimes the Expedition seems to get pushed around by the Trailer and Jeep. Gets 15 - 17 MPG normally and 9 - 10 MPG towing.

But it does good for what its worth, Mine is a straight axle rear so it tows a little better than the newer ones, A buddy just got a 07 with 50k on it for like 8k, so there well below your price range.

my sister in law has a Taho and loves it. She has 2 kids but no dogs. I have 2 girls on the way and I'm currently looking around for an Excursion. When I go out of town, expect the 2 back seats to be taken up. Plus, I always take my black lab with me. All the kids, dog, and everything we'll need I expect an Excursion will be in order. A suburban would work but it won't tow a trailer with buggy like a diesel Excursion.

my vote is for an Excursion :)

My sister & I both have Tahoe's and absolutely love them! I have an 04 Z71 w/3rd row & captains chairs in the middle - its great for trips especially when we don't need the 3rd row seat (plenty of room for luggage or pooches).

Another vote for a Tahoe or a Suburban, especially if you don't have to tow a large rig behind it. I've owned 2 Tahoe's and I really like them. Suburban may be a better option with the kids and dogs.

ai97.photobucket.com_albums_l235_gyoung13_ThuDec31103608AmericaNew_York2009.jpg

ai97.photobucket.com_albums_l235_gyoung13_excursion_DSC03887.jpg

Go big or go home :lol:

^^ Damn and its in the color I want also, Very Nice set up

Thanks! It took me about 6 months of looking but found most of what I wanted, 7.3, 4x4, low miles (81,000 when I bought it). It is a 2000, which has the simple AC setup (not auto climate control, but thats OK by me) and forged rods.

I miss the truck about twice a year, but all in all a SUV works better for us.

Stock the thing pretty much sucked towing, but some simple suspension upgrades and it works great.

I voted for the Suburban but I am slightly biased (I have 3 of them LOL). If you do not need the extra room, which you will eventually need the room go with a tahoe. Personally I like the extra space behind the seats but we have 4 kids and a dog so that room is vital.

A diesel Excursion would be the ideal vehicle but everyone is so damn proud of them. If yu can find one for sale you may need to sell off one or maybe both testies to purchase it lol.

Wife has an 05 expedition currently and had an 01 yukon/tahoe before that (BTW why 02-06...01 is identical to 02 just curious)

While I like our expedition, if both were in the yard id drive the tahoe everytime.
The Exp is IRS which feels weird towing, it gets the job done but feels weird.
its strange the expedition just never inspires confidence, I always feel like it may let me down, but it never has...cant really explain it.

Oh and the 3rd row is useless in both except for kids under 10 or so.

go with a suburban AKA superBAN!

vortec, comfy inside, barn doors, onstar....got my vote

you dont want a dud furd:fuck-you:

Tahoe/Yukon. My old man has a Yukon and it is a damn good truck. Has 180k on it without any major problems. It'll tow, if need be (has a LQ4) but it fits the entire family very well. Mind you, our family doesn't get together often (parents are empty nesters) but it fits 4 adults and all our crap pretty good.

If you've got big dogs, then a Suburban might be the better choice.

I hear American kids can bring a pretty good $$ on the black market. You can keep the same size vehicle AND downsize the load carried.. win-win!

I hear American kids can bring a pretty good $$ on the black market. You can keep the same size vehicle AND downsize the load carried.. win-win!

such a hater

Tried to work out a deal with their mother but like usual she doesn't understand a damn thing about value of money.

y'all drive some bigass vehicles! I thought the Durango I looked at was big enough, but DAMN! Subs and Expeditions???

btw, at sub-$20K the '08 Durango is looking like a good option. only con I keep running into is the fuel mileage, but then you don't get something this big to be able to sip fuel.

Find an Excursion. I can hold 5 adults comfortably with all the gear you would want. Tows whatever, fold down all the seats and it makes a great sleeping area. Plus I have my family inside and I want all the protection I can get.

Back