lift-shocks question

JSEsterly

Im adding a 4" lift to my suburban, wanting to save a few bucks and go with a cheaper lift (tuff -rough country) will going with a more expensive brand shock make up any of the difference? Its going to be used 90% on road, and no Heavy 4x4'in. My thoughts on this is if it would make a difference to spend an extra 20 a shock = $100 compared to extra $300+ for a higher quality lift. Or am I just being cheap and lookin for the easy way out?

Shocks help a ton, but if the leaf pack is stiff as boards, even a Bilstein 9100 won't help you..

I recommend going with Tuff Country. Their spring rates are suited well for our trucks. If your current rear springs aren't sagging too much, I highly suggest going with a shackle flip. You'll retain the factory quality, the driveshaft angle will be spot-on, NO BLOCKS, and it's cheaper than new rear springs. As far as shocks go, you don't want to cheap out on them, but at the same time, a high dollar shock won't really do much good. I've had good luck with the ProComp 3000's. They're not too expensive, but net a decent ride quality. With your's being a diesel, I would imagine that they would ride even better.

Yeah, there are a couple guys around here with burbs lifted.. I want to chase one of them down and talk to them, maybe get a ride.. I mean how else do you compare lifts?

Yeah, unfortunately that's the only way to know. I was always impressed with how my buddy's K5 with a Superlift kit rode. It soaked up all but the largest bumps. It was much better than my cheap 8" kit.

Rich is right, if the "smileyface" springs are stiff, then the ride will suck. Can you use the shackle flip kit by Off Road Design? With those in the rear you can use less arch in the springs.

Back