Linville Gorge Camping

Macdaddy4738

Do they limit the amount of permits they give out every month?

I know the group size is limited to 10...but do they actually limit the amount of passes they give out?

Depends on the month you go, certain months you don't need a permit. I have never gotten a permit.

Do they limit the amount of permits they give out every month?
I know the group size is limited to 10...but do they actually limit the amount of passes they give out?

not this time of year.

Go in the next few weeks, it will be beautiful andn ot too cold (yet).

Hm, I got my old cherokee stuck up there on a "primitive road" just about this time some, wow, 12 years ago.

we are going Friday through Sunday...

Thing is, calling the Grandfather Ranger station, they tell me that they cant issue any more permits for this weekend..

Apparently though, if we go to the Information cabin, they can issue them to us there no problem..

I was just up there. it is the best time of the year to go. we also camped over at harper creek falls.

we are going Friday through Sunday...
Thing is, calling the Grandfather Ranger station, they tell me that they cant issue any more permits for this weekend..
Apparently though, if we go to the Information cabin, they can issue them to us there no problem..

You can always camp along the road without a permit. The permits are only needed if your in the Linville Gorge Wilderness Area - at least the last times I camped up there.

you'll need a permit until oct 31,and you can only stay 2nights,3days in season for permits and out of season,we have a group going in two weeks to do some fishing

Was this a reference to my comment about camping along the road?

The road past the ranger cabin (Kistler Memorial Highway) is not part of the Linville Gorge Wilderness area. The wilderness area requires permits. The area that is not part of the Wilderness is still part of the National Forest. The area near the falls is actually part of the National Park Service - entirely different set of rules. NPS rules have you using a NPS campground.

Enforcement of Permits used to be handled by the 'Back Country Ranger'. Last I knew - they did not have a Back Country Ranger in Pisgah.

Macdaddy4738 - if your going into Linville Gorge, stop in and have a chat with the folks at the cabin. It is a very cool log cabin. It has dovetail/notches joinery in the logs used for the walls.

road

they are some camp areas along the left side of the road that are inside the wilderness area,but there is no markers up telling were it falls,to bad the road is not like it use to be about 15years ago, there were some great side trails to

they are some camp areas along the left side of the road that are inside the wilderness area,but there is no markers up telling were it falls,to bad the road is not like it use to be about 15years ago, there were some great side trails to

Many years ago I had the chance to ride down the road where the radio tower is located. As I was slowly making my way down the road, I glanced to my left and saw a campsite. Crouched down and trying to cover herself with her hands was a naked woman. I drove on for any 50 feet or so before the image really registered. I drove a little slower by the same spot on my way back out. She wasn't around that time.

Well my friend backed out with the rain, and I still planned to go until I heard there could be an inch of rainfall through out the night. Being that I planned to camp near the river...I decided that was a little too much.

Back