liquid cocktails

i put in about 2 cups in each tire. i was guessing, no magic formula, and it worked well enough FOR WHAT I DO. which is riding to trails, no roads....

I used 2.5 cc's per tire..............

Nah just kidding,I am also with the "theres no magic formula" crowd.The only bad thing about the trial and error method is its gotta suck to get water back out of a tire................. :driver:

IF????? you have a friend at a tire shop............... Put say 8oz in, spin balance it, it it needs more, put valve at the top let air out, squirt liquid in, air it up spin it again. Repeat till it's right. At least that's the way I would try it. Remember, how much the lead weights weigh, it'll take a good bit to equal that much weight. I used the BB's in mine. total weight 12oz each wheel.

Since the liquid is further away from the hub than the lead weights are, it should take less weight, in theory..

The EZ way I get the water in is to pull the valve core.. attach a hose to the valve stem once all the air is out. jack up the axle, and the tire will suck air in... just pour, it'll suck the water right in. ;)

1 cup worked decently enough in each of my 38.5's... but like was said, no magic formula that I'm aware of...

a cup of water weighs slightly more than 8 oz... for reference.

But, dynamic balancing means that theoretically, you can't add too much water, as it will just keep swirling around, looking for a light spot. But, ask a guy who put too many BB's in his tires, and he'll disagree. :lol:

I found a previous post called balancing swampers I think there is an equation for some type of powder and it weighs almost the same as water. It should be at the top today.

Also, I don't imagine the issue is putting too much (within reason), it's putting not enough... the fluid is going to spread out as needed. more than enough and it'll just spread out where it's needed. not enough and it won't balance.

if you have a guy that will/can spin large tires, all you need to do is figure out how much weight you need and put that much in there. you may need a scale that can measure in ounces, but Isay just put more than enough in there with out going over the top....

you drive down the gravel roads wherever at 30 miles an hour with no weight at all? some people don't care, some people do. I did, so i put antifreeze in them and it helped quite a bit. yes balancing is for road speed issues, or gravel road speed issues. i guess i am missing why you are confused?

plus, i never wheel it, i just drive it around the neighborhood.

pheery said:
plus, i never wheel it, i just drive it around the neighborhood.

My "trail only" rig gets driven a few miles at a time on the road on the way to and from the trails, especially in Dayton..

And, the girls at the Sonic dig it :huggy:

Metto said:
is your junk still street legal rich?

Kinda sorta... It will be tagged and insured.

:lol: inspection whats that?? :flipoff2: the good 'ole boys at the tire shop still manage to slap a sticker on it, if the sheet that they give happens to get lost after i leave their shop ;)

as far as balancing for highway, won't see much but yes the typical pikes peak style cruise around trail 1 @ tellico, and possibly into town to get a burger/parts/cold beverage.

No inspection on a 35 year old vehicle. :flipoff2: But, except for a few bullshit things like reflectors, it would pass.

Back