Looking for a shop to do engine swap?

kclacoma

Anyone know of a shop around the statesville/GSO area that will install (if feasible) a Ls 1, 2, or a chevy van engine into a 95 4runner for a daily driver along with a/c and electronics hook up? I have the 4 runner and can get the motor and tranny complete w/cpu and accessories or if the price is right purchase one from the vendor. This is in the projection stage now to see if it is worth doing.

Why are you wanting to do this? I assume since you say it's a DD, then you don't plan to wheel it hard enough to NEED the extra power. So my guesses for reasoning would be:

To replace a blown 3.0 (unless Toyota offered a 95.5 4runner that had the 3.4, like the Tacomas)
To get better gas mileage---it likely won't get enough better to justify the $ spent on the swap
To have a 'sleeper', in this case, $ should not really be an issue, either you want it or not (guess it just depends how bad)

Just to SWAP the engine and not actually hook up anything or 'make it run', I doubt anyone would do it for less than $750, that is alot of fabrication and work just to pull the stock engine/trans out and fabricate mounts to support the V8/trans, this is assuming it would fit without extensive modifications. You would probably be $3K-$5K in the whole process, after exhaust, ECU stuff, accessories, etc.

Why are you wanting to do this? I assume since you say it's a DD, then you don't plan to wheel it hard enough to NEED the extra power. So my guesses for reasoning would be:

To replace a blown 3.0 (unless Toyota offered a 95.5 4runner that had the 3.4, like the Tacomas)
To get better gas mileage---it likely won't get enough better to justify the $ spent on the swap
To have a 'sleeper', in this case, $ should not really be an issue, either you want it or not (guess it just depends how bad)

Just to SWAP the engine and not actually hook up anything or 'make it run', I doubt anyone would do it for less than $750, that is alot of fabrication and work just to pull the stock engine/trans out and fabricate mounts to support the V8/trans, this is assuming it would fit without extensive modifications. You would probably be $3K-$5K in the whole process, after exhaust, ECU stuff, accessories, etc.

Thanks, thats a start, I blew the 3.0 and my baby has been sitting without a motor, tranny, tx case etc. i just need the power to pull trailers and i just like having that much motor in that little truck. i did a swap years ago w/a 79 toy pu i had to put some body lift to accept the 350 tranny and lift the front along with a cooling system, i purchased motor mounts from some place in cal and it fit like a glove, had the hydraulics modified and had a guy wire it but that was a long time ago and i am sure things have changed a lot since. maybe I should just get a tundra, thanks

I would suggest a Tundra, even with a bigger motor, the 4runner itself is only going to be capable of handling a small trailer (6x12 or close, maybe 3-4Klbs), that would be with good trailer brakes as well.

It might not be too bad to swap in a carb'd smallblock, but when you want EFI, A/C, a clean (not butchered) interior for the shifter, you are talking $$$. IMO, if you keep the 4runner, you would be much better off spending some $ on the 3.0 and building it up some, they are decent motors that can make good power if they are built right.

Back