Looking for Camping on the New River

retroedaddy

Infidel
We are going camping mid Sept and we are looking for a spot we can set up our camper, so electric is a must, water would be nice. I am bringing the girls so a bathhouse would also be really nice. Thanks !

Thanks man, I just booked with Twin River, have you ever been there ? I rented that log cabin that is across the river from there last March, the area was great !

I've never stayed there (live about 20 minutes south of there) but I've been in the park a few times. Its nice, I think you will enjoy it down there. It won't be as crowded this late in the year either.

twin rivers is down home good ole country folks, feller their shuttled us up river for free in his chebby. nothins fancy nothins a hastle I'd go back. rivercamp is a little more upscale manicured and bit heavy on some rules. like no entering the water outside designated areas no hammocks and no clothes lines ( you know to protect the trees) stricter campfire rules ect. twin river takes you further out down a gravel road. very narrow and you sure ain't going to bypass nobody. river camp is real easy to enter and exit. the strait and simple is both are great just ones a little more upscale and heavier on the management. twin rivers reminded me of a better managed mnt. city orv( what was that places name?)

I've stayed at both and Twin River's is definitely my kind of people...it can get a little wild at times! The road is very narrow but doable. I've pulled a 28' Redneck Toy Hauler down it before with no trouble but I didn't meet anyone either. I've seen some larger campers in there as well.

Other than tubing down river, what else is there to do ? I plan to carry up fishing gear and obviously I will have the camper. We are big fans of West Jefferson, but I think we want to stick with outdoor activities over that weekend.

cook, drink beer. small area not to far back down the hill to north wilksboro or hop over to Sparta And I fished a bit but the water was really nasty it rained all weekend, fishing sucked.

lol, everytime we passed the sign last time we were up that way I yelled " THIS IS SPARRRRRTAAAA !!!!!! " My daughters did not find it funny, the boy thought it was great though.......

Well we went up on Thursday, I couldn't find anyone to pay until Friday. The guy's whole attitude was " Well I would've found ya at some point this weekend. " Definitely very cool, very country folks. We did end up moving sites because our first site was a little small. We moved to the last one with electric and rented the primitive site next to it and had plenty of room. Saturday we went to the Mountain Heritage Festival in Sparta in the morning and then tubed in the afternoon. It was a blast,although from the bridge down to the last place to let out before the big rapids took a little more than 3 hours and I had to stand up a few times because the river was too low. All in all we had a great time, we will definitely be going down more and the people that run Twin Rivers are great.

Back