M/Ts in snow?

rbo1577186 said:
Somebody shut me up if I'm wrong, but I thought the shifting while in movement had to do with locking hubs. If you have locking hubs DO NOT shift while moving. Without locking hubs the front axles/r+p/driveshaft is already spinning.

It depends on the system. In Toyota's ADD system the front half shafts turn all the time but the diff doesn't. Dodge for example everything turns all the time. There just isn't any power going to the front D/S. At least after '96.

rbo1577186 said:
Somebody shut me up if I'm wrong, but I thought the shifting while in movement had to do with locking hubs. If you have locking hubs DO NOT shift while moving. Without locking hubs the front axles/r+p/driveshaft is already spinning.
If you lock your hubs, then the front axle/driveshaft is spinning. You can shift into 4hi. I've always had trouble shifting back though.

In the mid-80's 'yota the hubs are manual, so open hubs, the shafts don't move at all, angaging the x-case only locks the front diff and shafts in w/ the rear... you still have the wheels spinning freely. I assume the "shift-on-the-fly" capability has to do w/ how the x-case actually becomes engaged, whether its kinda sliiiides in and grabs or has to stop and lock first. Never taken apart mine (hope not to!!) so just don't know the yoter system (nor do I have an owners manual).

Back