M715 Cab Top

Pless

I figured I would try this before I bought a new top. Does anyone have a M715 soft top or hardtop they would want to part with? For the right deal I might even be willing to buy a whole truck for the top and spare parts.

I don't have anything to offer, except my hard/soft top experiences. I had a vinyl top from Beachwood Canvas. It was pretty well shot after 5 years parked outside. Was getting a little crusty then the squirrels started eating it. (I've heard Beachwood is out of business, but their website is still up.)

I have seen one of the Boyce fiberglass tops in person, and they are really nice. Not sure I'd put 1500 in one. They are still listed on the Boyce site.

When I got it, my truck had a "forest service" style top riveted/welded to the stock soft top bows, windshield frame, and back of the cab. I cut it off, and tried to save it, but between being in the way for too many years, and what it would take to make it usable again, it went to the scrapyard. I did like it though, and if I could have made that one removable, I would have happily kept it and used it. One day I'll build a new forest service style top for it.

Tim Barr's video has a good view of the forest-service design fabricated hard top: (you can see the underside at 1:00, and the exterior starting about 8:45)

I appreciate the info, and experience. I've been going back and forth between making a forest service top or just buying something. Something about the shape of the Boyce fiberglass top dosent do it for me. I found a copy of the plans for the forest service top, and I have access to a laser and press brake. If I end up going that route I'll let you know, and I could cut out a couple of them.

@kaiser715 Do you know if the image below is the right configuration for the top bows? I think mine has had some add-ons over the years.

MVC-001S_2.JPG

I started reproducing the Forest service top in Solidworks, but it leaves a lot to the imagination with the dimensions given.

Yep, that looks pretty much normal.

Back