MACCO - is the paint job worth it?

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
I have contemplated painting the ZJ myself, but having no experience in painting a vehicle, I was wondering if paying Macco is worth it. Anyone have any experience with them? I know you get what you pay for, and a $400 paint job is not gonna be great, but is at least worth the $400?

It all depends on the Maaco you go to. I've had beaters painted at Maaco and it looked like a $400 paint job. My dad had his van painted at his local Maaco and it looks amazing. Check out some of their work and talk to some people, you never know what they turn out until you do some research.

It all depends on the Maaco you go to. I've had beaters painted at Maaco and it looked like a $400 paint job. My dad had his van painted at his local Maaco and it looks amazing. Check out some of their work and talk to some people, you never know what they turn out until you do some research.

True, I guess it is shop to shop. So has anyone had any experience with the one on Church Street here in Greensboro?

mine looked very good the day i got it done, they oversprayed a little on my windows and my coil springs. Other than that its held up pretty well now for a year, the only bad thing is it has chipped in a few places but not bad for a cheap paint job. O ya on my Zj they have cladding and didnt care to remove it and paint behind it or in the tiny cracks between the cladding so that was a downside

I had a job done at maaco a few years ago and stripped the car first (mirrors/lights/trim ect). I trailered it to them and the had it sprayed, turned out prtty good since they did not have overspray all over everything. If i was gonna do it again i would do it that way again

I had a job done at maaco a few years ago and stripped the car first (mirrors/lights/trim ect). I trailered it to them and the had it sprayed, turned out prtty good since they did not have overspray all over everything. If i was gonna do it again i would do it that way again
That's good advice. The one thing I can say about the maaco paint job I had: Depending on what level paintjob you buy, expect that oxidation will start forming about 3 months after the warranty runs out.

it also has a lot to do with the painter and not the paint if the painter sucks even with the best paint it will be dull and uneven orange peel i painted my jeep with limco supreme aka the cheap stuff 3 years ago and still looks great

The prep work is what determines a quality paint job. A good painter can correct his mistakes while painting or shortly there after. I do not think the $400 covers the prep work? If you have the time and ability to do your own prep work you might be better off.

I had my BMW painted at the one in Cary, it came out awesome. People couldn't believe it was a Maaco paint job!

Before
awww.supermotors.net_getfile_563714_fullsize_cimg5064.jpg

After paint and 100s of hours of restoring it
awww.supermotors.net_getfile_621029_fullsize_cimg5355.jpg

awww.supermotors.net_getfile_616601_fullsize_pic1.jpg

I had my CRX painted at the one in Jacksonville and it was an awesome looking paintjob. I did all the pre sanding to I knew where the imperfections would be. Mine was single stage enamel. I use a spray can primer and they said it could peel but it never did. That paint job got me an extra $2500 when I sold the car

Back