Machine shop for Aluminum Plate

gogogadgetbiker

I am working on a project at work in which I may need to find a machine shop to cut/machine 2 pieces of 6061 plate to my dimensions. I may be able to provide a cad drawing to go with it and I most likely will be providing the material.

The first piece will be about 24"x18" and 5/8" thick with about 20 holes machine through it. "Nothing too fancy"

The second piece will be about 10"x5" and 1" thick with 3-4 holes tapped in it to hold helicoils. "also pretty simple"

Who do you know, and if it is possible to PM me an approximate cost please do so.

This first device will be a proto-type and hopefully we will make about 10 more.

Just a few ,Advanced Metal Fab,Washington 252 975 2794...Phoenix Fab Supplies Dixon St. Ayden...have you tried Roberts Welding in Winterville? I'm sure there are some shops in Tarboro and Rocky Mount also try Modlins Marine in Greenville.

I could do it, but shipping would probably kill the price. What level of precision are you wanting?

I could do it, but shipping would probably kill the price. What level of precision are you wanting?

Accuracy of the holes needs to be +/- 1mm

Most of the holes will be oversized, so it doesn't have to be that exact.

One of the biggest things I need is the actuall shapes cut "without it looking like I did it with a portaband."

Accuracy of the holes needs to be +/- 1mm
Most of the holes will be oversized, so it doesn't have to be that exact.
One of the biggest things I need is the actuall shapes cut "without it looking like I did it with a portaband."
If you have a drawing, you could probably get it from a fab shop that has a laser. They can hold that accuracy, and do nice work on contours too. Plus its cheaper than machining.

Phoenix isn't in business anymore.
Modlins does just aluminum welding, at least they did last time I talked to them.

Bill, you know you can call me for this info :D

If you want water jet, Riddle Brothers can do it in Winterville. Carver Machine in Washington is pretty good too. If you have the material, I'd go with Riddle Brothers. I can get you a contact there so it won't cost you an arm and a leg. The Roberts Co. can machine it but they are so busy in the shop right now that it'll take forever to get it done. If it has to be waterjet, Roberts gets Riddle Brothers to do the work for them.

Edwards has a machine shop but are really pricey. Shop machine alloy rate starts at $65/hour then you have to count your time to get it to Spring Hope and go back and pick it up. The Greenville office doesn't have a fab shop.

If you want something really local, there are some good smaller guys that are not listed. Let me know if you need some more contacts.

Back