Machine shop in Charlotte/Monroe/Waxhaw

ProbablyBroke

does not torque to spec
I'm looking for a machine shop to shave a few mm's off of two side gears for a front samurai differential. I don't know what kind of machine you could use other than a lathe. The side gears have a lip that won't allow them to fit in the carrier.

any suggestions welcomed.
This is my last ditch / bandaid efforts to avoid buying chromoly axles for the front of this beater.

704-277-99forsix

They are side gears but I imagine they are hardened. I'll be honest, I don't know the implications of trying to shave hardened steel. I don't care if I ruin the gears in the process, but I understand someone not wanting to ruin their equipment. Would it likely damage their cutters? @broncosbybart

Belt sander is a good idea. They are side gears splined for the 22 spline front axle shafts. Using these side gears will be my only option for getting around buying 26 spline chromos.

I have a lockright. However, the lockright for samurai only comes with the drive gears, cross pins, springs. You are supposed to use your stock 26 spline side gears from a rear diff in a rear carrier. So without the rear side gears, there is nothing to attach the axle shaft to the lunchbox. That's the dilemma. In addition to using 26 spline axle shafts, you also need a rear 4 pin carrier that uses 3 cross pins. I have that part, but am trying to find a way to use the stock front 22 spline side gears in a stock rear carrier, so I can use stock axle shafts. Im thinking the belt sander is the way to go.

I have swaped the side gears front to fear on a samurai it's been years but I'm pretty sure they are the same other then the spline count

Depending on how the gear is hardened it may not be a problem. The entire gear is not generally hardened as much or in the same way as the teeth, to keep the rest of the gear ductile or whatever is needed for durability.

If it's just a lip, a rotary grinding machine may work if absolutely necessary, but I think standard equipment with the proper tooling will work fine most likely.

image.jpeg

Lower gear is the 22 spline stock front side gear that needs work. Above is the stock 26 spline rear side gear.

Get some CBN inserts and spin it at a couple thousand SFM, but it may not like the interrupted cut. A grinder would work best.

Get some CBN inserts and spin it at a couple thousand SFM, but it may not like the interrupted cut. A grinder would work best.
I smoked an insert but I got them turned down. Ended up taking 100 tho off each one to get them to fit into the carrier.

Back