machine shop in Raleigh area

TKFireman

I'm looking to rebuild a AMC 401, any recommendation on a machine shop in the Raleigh/Durham area that is familiar with the AMC V8's?

I've heard good things about T-hoff. But I have had 2 motors built by Bill Houser down in Fuquay "Bill's Speed Shop" and both motors have over 200K now. He'll talk your ears off but he knows what he's doing. He's been building since the 60's. Does alot of oil mods while he's in there. And by working out of a barn, his prices are impossible to beat.
Besides that, I have a very long list where NOT to take it...

John West Auto Serv in Raleigh does all the machine work on my race motors, And I have never had a problem. He's almost finished a nasty 4.2 stroker for a Jeep that he been tweaking on.

I have T-Hoff build my motors, always have good luck with them.

Won't go to Bill's anymore. He did some work for me once and found out I was from Philly. Wouldn't stop giving me shit about it. I can normally take some joking around, I've been here long enough, but he was a huge dick to me. Wish it would have been before I dropped my stuff off rather than picking up, I never would have let him lay hands on it.

I've talked to T-hoff and Bill's, still deciding while I save up money. Anyone have any work done by Apex Sales here in downtown Apex?

Just to share some of my bad experiences...
(my worst) Dude's name was Jody at Loop Road Machine Shop in Garner left a huge gash in a crank one time. I took it back the next day and dude finally said he would re-machine it even though every single employee in there said they didn't see a problem and would run it? I for one know you DON'T run gashes in crank journals. Then I went back to pick it up 2 days later and Jody specifically told the front counter not to give it to me unless I paid for the second machining. He was on vacation that week and I needed my crank so I told everyone in there (customers included) where Jody could go and what he could do with their machine shop as I paid for my crank and got my refund for the new undersized bearings I bought in the parts store to begin with. He had to take another 0.020 to get the gash out.
Dup's in Angier. I dropped off a 14 bolt to get regeared and he helped me carry it inside to begin with? Then after 2 days I noticed they had it sitting outside after they had power washed it and it stripped down. 3 weeks later I stopped by and demanded help to get it back in my truck with it covered inside and out with rust even the spindles. Thank goodness the gears were kept inside...
Carquest on Germantown road in Raleigh got rid of every machine shop employee except one and he names his own prices and time frame. He told me he might get my crank turned in 4 weeks and could not give me a price.
Walkers in Raleigh priced me $125 plus tax to machine a crank. All I could do is laugh as I left? thes was when I went to Loop Road (my worst mentioned above).
I won't mention a name for he's still a friend and great guy but T-hoff in Durham had a set of heads for 4 months before I picked them up untouched. I dropped by like every other week and left with promises. At least he still had all the parts.
And as for Bills, I'm as southern as it comes and only had to hear every war story from Battle of Troy to WW2. Haven't been down there in 2-3 years so it's hard telling what ole Bill has to rage against now. But he even threw in larger valves "just because he had them laying around" at no additional price on my 5.0 that I drive daily. And I wouldn't let anyone else ream a set of Ford I-beams for brass bushings. He knows old shit specifically.
But I second you skipping Bills if you are a Yankee. I can definately foresee that experience...:shaking:

hot damn...think I know where I am taking my flathead motor to get worked on.I'll woo Bill with my exploits shootin yankees up and down the east coast and maybe he'll hook a brudder up.I emailed Loop Rd. with questions and never heard back from them.Theyt came highly recommended too but atleast they could touch base with somebody.You got a number and an addy for Bill's Speed Shop?

I had actually spoken highly of Loop Rd previously but lately had a bad experience with them.Dropped a motor off,got promise after promise on it and when I finally called saying I had enough,They act like they don't know where it is?????Now I am waiting while they "try to round it up"???Seriously it was a complete motor when I dropped it off,just needed bearings.

John West is the only machine shop in Raleigh.
This.
Best engine builder in the area, and it's not even close. Dude has umpteen Stock Eliminator world record holders to his name, and an IHRA Stock Eliminator world title. He can build 'em and he can tune 'em.

CHS in Wake Forest is good. George out there is a great guy.

Bill, as mentioned before, is a card-carrying arse. For someone who is supposedly a die-hard Ford expert, I sure haven't seen too many good-running Fords at the tracks that he did the work on over the years.
Heck, John West is a Chevy/GM guy, but I'd bet my next several paychecks he could get more power out of any Ford than Hauser can.

Bill Houser has my flatheads as of yesterday sept.18th. He will talk the horns off a billy goat but I have been accused of that also. His rage right now is the bar beside his house and the people in the swing set in his backyard at 3 in the morning.He is slow with work right now so turn around ought to be pretty good.I'll do updates as time comes around but right now,I feel pretty good with going with Bill.

Okay I know I'm digging up an old thread but why start a new one when the information is going to be the same but just wanting updates...
26NC, how did your heads come out?
I'm looking for an AMC 360 expert, TKfireman, who did you go with and what are your thoughts on the quality? What is your long term up-date on the work done?

Thanks - Chris

Back