Maximum Backspacing?

Jason924R

Well I guess now that I know that I can run 38's I'm going to buy some when my 36's wear down. I'm looking to go with a wider stance but I don't think wider tires will be the answer. Currently my 36's rub on my front springs when I turn the wheel all the way. Which I do not like and especially do not like when someone else drive it and grinds the tires.

Here is what I'm working with now:
9.JPG

What would be the best backspacing for me to get that will still be safe? I'm currently running a 36/13/16 TSL with an '84 toyota pickup front axle and '92 toyota rear.

Thanks!

Jason

ifs

Use the ifs parts to widen that front end. But i wouldn't go less than 2.5" backspacing or the wear items will hate you

Trunion bearings, wheel bearings, all steering components will have increased wear.

Less backspacing will also increase your turning radius (take a bigger circle to turn around)

It'll also track grooves in the road more, if it matters.

If all you care about is rubbing the springs, then just adjust the steering stops.. :idea:

you can use the ifs hubs on your solid axle with a spacer... look at the FAQ in the toyota section on pirate4x4, theres a write up on there about doing that... you can get 2" bs wheels...you can put wheel spacers on too but at some point you're just building a rig that is full-width without the strength advantages of going with a dana 60 or the like and everything that has to do with holding the tires on your axles will hate you for it... that being said, i would do the 2" bs wheels... i might know where to get some if you're interested (if they still have some in stock)

a ~59" wide axle is hardly "full width"

im saying there is lots of stuff you can do to get a wider stance, and if you add wheel spacers (1.5/side) 2" bs wheels, and ifs hubs you might as well go full width....

OMG, spacers AND 2" BS wheels? that would leave you with an effective 0.5" of backspacing.

nevermind.... just saying how i see it... if you dont agree, thats fine.... i just dont see the point of adding all that stuff... kinda seems like a band-aid to me and is just gonna add wear and tear unnecessarily.... do whatever you think will make you happy man... and like i said earlier, if you decide on 2" bs wheels, i can check on them for you, the place might still have a few sets laying around

I hear ya, just pointing out to 4-runner guy what that would do to his effective backspacing. I'm running 2" effective BS on my wheels and HATE IT. Gimme 40 acres and I'll turn this FJ around...

lol well I'm not in the position right now monetarily to swap axles and what not. I just dont have the money. It would take me a while to save it too with my current job.

91 yota, yes check on those wheels for me. That would be nice. Thanks.

If money is tight...why not just get the 1.5 wheel spacers and call it good. That should help you clear the springs and give you a slightly wider stance in the front. You can order them for around $100. Four custom backspaced wheels are going to cost $200+, even if you get the "RockKrawler" from 4wheelparts. Just a idea.

Or i may have missed something, do you already have the spacers??

Just a FYI...i dont like anything under a 2.5"BS. The shells of the wheels are more prone to bend with the deep backspacing. My opinion of course.

I am running .75 spacers and 3"BS wheels to clear my 38's. And they dont rub the springs...

One more idea is 10" wheel vs. 8" wheel. The wider wheel will obviouly move the tire out farther and get the tire bulge away from the springs.

Seth

BS

Rich is right, don't get carried away with back spacing. I run the spacers, but I also have 3 1/2" back spacing, with 38's. Yes they will rub the springs at full turn, but you just let up on the wheeel a little or adjust the stops.

i ran spacers and 2" bs on an 8" rim on my 4runner and had no problems with reguards to excessive wear. i liked the width, and my springs never rubbed. i know alot of guys on pirate ran the same as i did and i never heard anyone complain about wear. as far as turning my 4runner did just fine. i would not discourage this set up at all and i have run the exact one u ask about.

Back