May 17th 2014 USFS URE workday.

krzyabncanuck

BLM HOTSHOT
The monthly workday is coming up here soon. Nothing to put out yet for work to be done but it is starting to get warm out here. Going up there tomorrow to ride the trails myself and see what is going on. Please make sure you bring plenty of water with you for this workday.

Last edited:
As this years COO of the FOU I will say thank you very much. Any little bit helps us.

Daniel trail will be the focus this workday.

Hi Everyone – Sorry for the late email about this weekend’s work day. We’ve been scrambling getting the shooting range ready to be opened (Yes, the range is now open!!!) and I didn’t have enough time to get some of the supplies and materials set up for this weekend’s work day. Sorry about that. June’s will be a little more detailed and organized.

Daniel Trail - Here’s the game plan for this weekend. Jeff Greene will meet everyone at 9 am at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp and get the volunteers set up with passes, signed up on the sheet. CTB has a project lined up to work on Daniel Trail to install riprap and do some machine work. There is also a couple of illegal trails to be blocked off between the Cotton Place Trailhead and the lower ledge on Daniel Trail. There are posts and short pieces of rail at the Arrowhead CG spray field that need to be hauled to Cotton Place Trailhead and then up to the sites that need to be blocked off. I think there are only 2 or 3 places that need to be blocked off but I’m not sure. Hopefully, Jason from CTB or another person that’s been there recently will be up on Saturday so we know how many guardrails to get. I think at the most you’d need 3 short rails and 6 posts for these illegal trails. If we don’t know for sure how many need to be blocked off count them on Saturday and send me an email next week and this can be a project in June.

Rest of the Trails - If you’re not going to be working on the Daniel Trail with the CTB group please block off illegal bypasses and trails people are making out of the ends of tail ditches, short cuts between trail intersections, etc. with slash and boulders that you’re able to move with your winches and rock bars and tools. That will help out a lot and look a lot better than the guardrail. Also, cut back the trees and branches that are overhanging the trails, pick up trash on the trails and at the dispersed campsites, and around the trailheads. Jeff will have trash bags, but please bring your pruners, loppers, and bow saws to brush back the trails. They’re beginning to get overgrown and this will improve the visibility, especially at the road and trail crossings and at the motorized and nom-motorized trail crossings.

Jeff – Please bring the 2 augers and 1 can of mix gas, the ratchets, nuts and bolts, rock bars, shovels and post hole diggers and sledge hammers. These are in the back bay in the rec cage or just outside the rec cage. There is also a red crate on the table outside the rec cage, with cable and other items to use to drag the guardrail to Daniel Trail.

Thanks a lot everyone. I appreciate it. Whatever tools you don’t get back to Jeff at the end of the day, please take to Janet’s at Arrowhead Campground. You can put them in the shed at her Host Site. Thanks again. I appreciate your help. Bye - Terry

I'm going to be out of town at the beach all weekend so won't be able to make this one. Should have some UNCC offroad guys up there. Not sure how many Trailblazers will be there.

The Daniel crew needs to move what rock the can from the parking lot to the first switch back at the first ledge and stage off the trail for the equipment operator to use when he is able to get there...

Right now the FOU website is going thru some changes. I will get with my wife who is going what she can with it what the issue is.

Nothing really got done today but some lite stuff. Nothing on Daniel got done. I was over on the Horse trails myself working.

Back