Mechanic Familiar With Old Jeeps in Charlotte

06MegaCab

I have an 85 CJ7 with the 258 that has a motor craft 2100 carb on it that I need tuned. I am decently mechanically inclined but know 0 about carbs and this thing is driving me nuts.

It wants to stall in 1st gear and if I roll into the power in any other gear it's like the carb floods the jeep sputters and then slowly catches up.

Does anyone know a mechanic that is good with carbs and/or the 258 in the Charlotte area?

Thanks!

Tarheel 4wd has been working on CJs for longer than I've been in this hobby, and every time I've ever been at their shop, there were a bunch of CJs sitting around.

This would be more of a Mechanic problem, than a Jeep problem. Only I don't have any recommendations. It may be a vacuum advance problem [distributor / vacuum line] causing the slow pick up.

Yeah I think it's a combination of bad tuning on the carburetor with a possible distributor issue. However I just simply don't have the know-how for this.

Found a guy that Tar Heel four wheel drive suggested to me so I'll see how he does. I talked to him on the phone and he really knew his stuff. Plus – I have to get the exhaust rerouted anyway because the downpipe has separated from the header and the bolt is seized on and it. Also it dumps out right underneath my driver seat which makes everything stink.

I dont think there is anything wrong with the distributor.
;)

A vacuum leak is possible...trying to remember where the vac advance is hooked up.
Unless its changed since last week you should be seeing a new donut gasket there at the header/downpipe union and not a separation.

And unless you are sitting in the back seat it isnt dumping under you :p

Haha that's all very true. It is dumping right behind me. To be honest I'm not real familiar with the vacuum stuff and the distributor just came off of the internet. When people had similar symptoms they said that was something they checked. The jeep starts right up and runs but I want to get the hesitation fixed. Trying to button things up over the winter while I am not as antsy to drive it haha!

Keith Newcomer that runs Newcomer Racing in Harrisburg.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Got the 2100 and hei on mine. I had a similar problem. I bumped my timing to 12 or 14 And it cleared most of it up. It still has a little hesitation when it's cold but after its GTG.
It's a carb and won't ever perform like fi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do yourself a favor now. Go to the parts store and get a Haynes Manual and a carb rebuild kit. This crab is stupid simple to rebuild and adjust. You're going to need to learn how to if you're going to own one.

The carb is brand new. Less than 50 miles on it.
It had a thermal choke that's never been set up or installed.

(I sold the Jeep to OP two weeks ago)

Back