mobile home axles

IKUZUS

Does anyone know the answer??? I've been told they were illegal to use on a homebuilt trailer and I've also heard they were fine to use as long as the "mobile home use only" tires were replaced. I'm willing to buy a set of tires so I can register this trailer or if I have to, replace the axles.

axles

I am pretty sure you are correct. The tires are the only issue. Hudson Trailer Manufacturing Co uses this stlye of axle on new trailers. Some DOT officers are not well informed about this issue and will state they are not legal.

[DISCLAIMER] I do not live in NC, do not have my trailer regsitered in NC, and am not a lwamaker/law enforcer in NC [\end disclaimer]

My home made car hauler trailer also rides on mobile home axles.

I have replaced the tires, but have been unable to find any tires that do not say mobile home use only, and the tires were HELLA EXPENSIVE.
In hindisght, I could have ordered brand new axles rims and tires from Northern for what I spent on 4 tires and brake replacement parts for the MH units.

Now in fairness when I needed this done I was out of town and did all part locating through wife/internet and bought first found items and didnt ahve a lot of time to price shop.

Tires were $175/each...I probably got screwed here but have not even bother to research because I dont wanna know how bad :flipoff2:
But the 13.5 rims size is pretty specific and not very common. I have heard there are 14 inch MH axles out there, I have lookd at every set I see and only come across the 13.5s

Brake parts were a whole nother...They were bought off the net fro some yahoo that shipped them inside a 24-pack buweiser box, taped all to hell and I paid $150 for one axle worth of drums,pads, and parts.

At the time I had posted on here someon recomended rednecktrailersupply.com
I contacted those folks and they said they did not sell MH axle parts.
I have since had that recommendation reaffirmed by several others who say they HAVE BOUGHT from them...not sure if this is any help but worth noting.

All that said and out of the way.

Stopped last week in NC by DOT officials. We were let go (after 1 hour and 45 minutes of roadside chitchat) because we were from SC and were 2 miles from state line but were told that those axles were not legal in NC and I could be cited for reckless driving for pulling an unsafe trailer.

How about another question..........do you have to register a trailer?? Are there stipulations that force you to register one??

How about another question..........do you have to register a trailer?? Are there stipulations that force you to register one??

In NC, yes, it's called the law. If you never have it on the state maintained Hwy, then no, but by law, you have to list it on property taxes.
As far as I have been told, the only trailer that does not have to be registered is one that will not carry a load, such as a concrete mixer, or BBQ grill

MH Axles

I have pulled a boat load of trailers over the years and I have gotten to the bottom of the whole deal with upgrading mobile home axles to a usable state. I decided it wasnt worth it in my case, but you make your own mind up.
~Dexter 6000 lb hubs and bearings fit almost all M.H. axles/spindles.
~Early 70's camaro hubs also fit, but you have to trim a little off the threaded end of the spindle to get the dust cap back on it. (Dont ask how I know this, but it got someone's camaro race car and trailer home one night)!
~Dexter offers these 6000lb hubs with or without brake drums.
~The Dexter 6K wheel bolt pattern is 5x5.5 (Old Scouts, Jeeps, Fords)
~Mobile home axle tubes and spindles are a approx. 6000 pound rating.
~The springs and hardware suck!
~ The mono and multi leafs all suck. (Mexicans dont use good steel in cheap springs).
~ The old ones from the 70's and 80's were still American made and are better than new ones but, I dunno how you would date them.
~ If you dont need 6k rated axles you can buy new loaded 3500lb complete axles almost as cheap as you can rebuild your M.H. axles. Needless to say, with a lot less time and bleeding.
~The brakes are the only thing that suck worse than the springs. (factory welded on backing plates can be cut off/down and drilled to accept a modern brake backing plate.
~If you choose to go this route, you have just tied a pretty pink ribbon on a muddy hog's ass.
~The Dexter 6K hubs can be installed with a complete brake assembly, if you go the pink ribbon route.
~ The whole DOT legality issue stems from the rims not having a safety bead to retain the tire in the event and most likely occurance of a flat tire. According to them it will fly off the rim. I am not sure my experiences proove that out, but its thier story and they are sticking to it.
~Tires that come with these axles are total crap, one use at best.
~The replacements are 12 ply F load rating and are supper strong low boy type rubber.
~Wapo-neese cheap import tires are $118.00 and come mounted on new rims at Carolina Rim and Wheel in Charlotte.
~Goodyears are over $200.00 ea. for just the tires at Redneck trailer supply in Lincolnton.
~If you have never messed with this style of clamp retention rim with the slugs that go inbetween the lug nut and the rim, watch a tire guy to learn how to get it centered and installed properly. Hold a screwdriver on the trailer side and use it like a dial indicator to check the runout to see if you got it centered.
Hope this helps any one who is on the fence about updating M.H.axles vs installing new stuff.

I have mobile homeaxles on my gooseneck and if is DOT approved. I do live in SC but DOT is a federal set of laws. My tires are lowboy tires so they are good too.

I have mobile homeaxles on my gooseneck and if is DOT approved. I do live in SC but DOT is a federal set of laws. My tires are lowboy tires so they are good too.
There is some gray area around what the officer's understand the law to be. I wouldnt recomend arguing on the side of the road with them. Most of them are DB's that werent good enough to be on the Hiway Patrol and got stuck crawling under trucks on the side of the road for a living, so they have sh:poop:tty attitudes and a badge. And that right thare is a bad combination!;)

Just because they are demountable rims doesn't mean they are mh axles.

Hudson trailer used dexter demountables for years.

Dexter sells replacement parts.

MH axles have the backing plates welded to the spindle and demountables do not. So instead of buying a loaded backing plate just get the parts.

Here are the dexter backing plates they are a 12x2 brake.

http://dexteraxle.com/inc/sdetail/1525

http://dexteraxle.com/inc/sdetail/1524

Here is the drum kit with part numbers.

http://dexteraxle.com/inc/sdetail/6796

Tires are not that expensive. They are a 14.5" rim size with almost 3k capacity. I get my tires from the local MH place. They use them once then pile them up. I look through the piles for ones that do not say "For Mobile Home Use Only" There are usually a bunch. I do carry 2 spares though because tire stores are not a likely to have these in stock on a weekend when I'm using my trailer.

Ron, sounds like you got taken for a ride.

I have mobile homeaxles on my gooseneck and if is DOT approved. I do live in SC but DOT is a federal set of laws.
unfortunately, "dot approval" doesn't really mean much. it means the product it's on MIGHT meet dot standards, but there's just as big of a chance that it doesn't. this is because manufacturers are the ones "approving" their products, not the dot. furthermore, just because something happens to meet the dot standards, does not mean it's street/highway legal. the actual law could have standards above and beyond the dot requirements. or, they could specifically exclude/outlaw something entirely, regardless of it meeting dot standards or not.

the same is true on the flip side. just because something doesn't have "dot approval" and/or isn't even close to meeting the standards doesn't make it illegal. it all depends on the legislation where you are, or federal if local doesn't specify.

simply put, dot approved has nothing to do with something being legal/illegal. the only time it's relevant in terms of law is if a statute specifically requests dot standards be met.

clear as mud?:flipoff2:

By DOT approved I mean it has to be inspected by a inspector and certified as meeting DOT standards. All tractor trailers and , and anything with a DOT sticker on it has to meet these qualifications. Most vehicles on the road wouldnt meet these.The axles have to be tested every year for staightness, the wheel bearing are inspected as well as the brakes for stopping force. Trailer must run tru going down the road and have no frame defects at all to pass. Of course all that means is it was good when it was checked.

Ron, sounds like you got taken for a ride.

No doubt...but those axles have a new homenow anyway and I swapped over to dual braking Dexters 6 lug 5,000lb ers.

I would never look back

Back