Modifying Harbor Freight Trailer...questions.

Macdaddy4738

The next time the 40x49 trailer goes on sale

(http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90153)

I plan to pick it up and convert it into a Kayak trailer to tow behind my Wrangler. The jeep is a soft top, and getting a rack for it, even one that tips down, would annoy me, plus a trailer is just so much easier to use.

Few questions though...

I will need to somehow extend the trailer tow bar (tongue?) in order to accommodate the kayak. Mine is 12 feet, the longest I will probably be towing checks in just shy of 13). How would I extend this? The instructions show the tow bar just bolting in. Would it be as simple as just bolting in a longer bar of the same size? Would welding it on be a better option?

I know there are other cheaper options out there, but I want to be 100% sure the boats are safe, so I want to use Yakima hardware to secure them to the trailer, so I need a cross bar system to mount them. I wish to mount max...2 kayaks side by side. I also want these bars removable to use the trailer for other things. Any advice on how to rig this up?

One more thing, I want to create a removable rack that fits ABOVE the kayaks, to store a cargo box. Any advice on how to mount this up?

Thanks!

Do yourself a favor and buy the 4' x 8' trailer from harbor freight. Its a little more expensive but will work much better for you. It also folds in half and stands on end for storage. With that trailer you would not have to extend it. It also has stake pockets on the side for removeable sides or whatever else you build for it.

Do yourself a favor and buy the 4' x 8' trailer from harbor freight. Its a little more expensive but will work much better for you. It also folds in half and stands on end for storage. With that trailer you would not have to extend it. It also has stake pockets on the side for removeable sides or whatever else you build for it.
x2
Website has it at 80$ more, but I've seen the bigger one for 250 before, and then 20% off with coupon on top of that. Definitely worth it. And you'll want flags on the back of the kayaks :)

And I would just make a frame out of wood for the kayaks, and put a box up top. Super easy.

well the thing is, the Wrangler is a 4 cylinder.

Would the added weight of the larger trailer matter in terms of towing for me?

I built my own 4x8 trailer and its pulls it ok. thats with 2" x 8" in the floor and a toolbox on the front of it for gas cans or whatever.

One more thing, I want to create a removable rack that fits ABOVE the kayaks, to store a cargo box. Any advice on how to mount this up?
Thanks!

IMHO, mount the cargo box UNDER the kayaks/racks. It will likely stay loaded (trip supplies, extra straps, etc. that you want to keep secured), so mounting it low & tight should keep the COG down near the axle.

Too high and the trailer might get "tipsy"...

The 4x8 weighs only 287 pounds vs 163 lbs for the smaller one, so def get the bigger model (your mods would take weight up there anyway.

Someone will prob know, but I think the canoe/kayak can stick out up to xx (18?) inches from the rear before needing a flag. I would personally just throw a flag on it regardless.

Tongue on it appears to be maybe another couple of feet, so for a 12' yak you are look at it sticking out 2' to the rear, no big deal.

I agree with Caver, I would bolt in a good toolbox across the wheel/axle area and then build my kayak frame over that. Gives ya a good/locking place to put your vests, maybe even paddles, etc if they break down.

I think it will serve your purpose nicely and the added weight over the axles (toolbox) will help it from being quite as bouncy.

IMHO, mount the cargo box UNDER the kayaks/racks. It will likely stay loaded (trip supplies, extra straps, etc. that you want to keep secured), so mounting it low & tight should keep the COG down near the axle.

Too high and the trailer might get "tipsy"...

The plan was to mount just high enough above to put the kayak in the racks, not anymore than 5 or 6 inches above the coaming.

I was looking at putting it above the kayaks, so that I could remove anything from the box without needing to move the kayaks.

keep in mind, that 4 banger will pull alot more then you think... the difference in weight between the 2 trailers would not even be felt

Or think about an angled rack on the trailer, either higher in the front or back and you won't need as much length.

Back