Mopar MPI fuel pump

lomodyj

I've posted this up on several boards over the last year or so...was having problems with my pump again this weekend...so I thought I'd add it to the searchable archives here...

The Fuel pump on my MPI started acting up while wheelin' last weekend...cleaned out the fuel filter and that helped, but the sounds coming from the pump made me think it was time to find a spare...being 3 hours from home and 4 days from being able to order one from Hesco, I started asking around locally. Someone knew of someone who had found one that looked exactly the same under some late 80's Ford pickup truck...Drove the hour back down to Lynchburg (the closest AutoZoo) and actually found someone who was willing to help.

So we started with a 1988 Ford F150, I6 with an external pump...he walked around in the back for a while and came out with this:
1298950-fuel%20pump%20compare.jpg

Yup, looked the same, so I coughed up $75 for it (look at Hesco's site...$150). I then drove the hour back up to Oak Ridge and had NO PROBLEMS with the pump. So I left my old one in and carried the new as a spare...not knowing if it was actually gonna work.

Swapped them out today. The pump says on it, 95psi, the fittings are a bit different, but I moved the inlet from my old one and added another clamp to the outlet. Hooked it up, flipped the key several times to prime it. Fired it up (caughed and spit some as it got rid of the air) then finaly caught and idled smooth. So dropped it in drive and away we went. I think it is delivering fuel even better than the original...I would sometimes feel like I was running out of fuel after a long hard full throttle pull...doesn't do it any more...and it is quieter than the original...

What it is:

Brand: Master
AutoZone Part#: E2000
Cost: $75.99
AZ also has a lifetime warranty on it...

I was wondering about this when we talked about this a while back. Have you talked to Hesco about the specs of the original? Can the pump have too high of a pressure setting, be to noisy for the computer, or draw too much juice (it gets positive and negative out of the new loom, so I avoided screwing around with it too much)?

Also, did you ever do anything about the air filter or twitchy throttle? I never remember you have it when I'm around your YJ...

J

hobie said:
I was wondering about this when we talked about this a while back. Have you talked to Hesco about the specs of the original?
No.

Can the pump have too high of a pressure setting, be to noisy for the computer, or draw too much juice (it gets positive and negative out of the new loom, so I avoided screwing around with it too much)?

I have noticed NO ill effects from it...I actually think the Master pump works better than the original...The Fuel regulator on the fuel rail is what adjusts the pressure at the injectors...not the pump. So the "system" needs a constant amount of pressure, the 95 psi (whether this is same as the Hesco or not) seems to work just fine.

Also, did you ever do anything about the air filter or twitchy throttle? I never remember you have it when I'm around your YJ...

I swapped my filter for a true K&N filter. I read later that the filter that comes with the kit is either a K&N or a knockoff...either way, it should be oiled...I tried to reduce some of the screech/squeel/whine from the intake with a bigger filter...it didn't help...but it sure is cool looking :) The spring on the throttle is really light...so you will get some "bouncy" throttle. I helped this 2 ways. I added another spring to the throttle and added a hand throttle for those bouncy uphill climbs...

Now to add some fuel to the MPI vs. other upgrades fire...If I had known better back several years ago (when I did the MPI) I would have likely saved the $2000, and gone with a MC2100 and done the Nutter bypass...I've driven 258's that have done this and they run as well as mine...at 1/10th the cost...

lomodyj said:
Now to add some fuel to the MPI vs. other upgrades fire...If I had known better back several years ago (when I did the MPI) I would have likely saved the $2000, and gone with a MC2100 and done the Nutter bypass...I've driven 258's that have done this and they run as well as mine...at 1/10th the cost...

True... I'd have probably done a Chevy 350 conversion... BUT the kit was super easy...

J

Back