More Toyota Questions

fryedaddy

I've been looking at marlin crawler and got the price together of the front axle conversion. Is there any other brands to compare to? If not I'll probably have my local machine shop fab one up. Next question I'm not to familiar with the front IFS. Is this setup fairly strong. I've always had solid axles in the front never used IFS. I'll probably be doing a mix of hard and easy trails (Tellico) and (Uwharrie). I'm sure the front wouldn't crawl very well but if anyone knows differant let me know. Last question what type of axles can I go with if choosing the SAS. Will toyota be my only option, is the toyota factory 79-85 a strong axle? Has anyone changed to a d44. I haven't looked at the transfer case yet to see where it's located or if it will match up to any other axle combo yet. I've almost got the money together to buy the 90's truck so I'm trying to get as much info as I can on it. I'm a newbi on the toyota market and need more experience people's opinion. :flipoff2:

Toyo axle

There are serveral sites selling the stuff to convert to sas. Allpro and Sky manufacturing are two others that come to mind. I would go with Marlin. The most important thing you will need is the proper jig to drill the holes in the frame and the tube to weld into the holes you drill for the rear spring shackles for the sas conversion. Most of the other stuff you probably can manufacture on your own.

The Toyota axle is equal to, or stronger than the D44, depending on how you build it, and who you want to listen to. The D44 is quicker to disassembly for repair, the Toyo is the right width and perches are right.

If I decided not to use the Toyo axle, I would build a D60. It would be stronger, cost a little more, and have a little less ground clearance.

Thanks Larry,

I've seen a couple of toyota axles for a decent price about the same as a d44. I guess I'll look into the marlin a little more. Did you run the IFS for a little while or go right to the SAS.

Toyo

Sas from the beginning. The Toyo 81 thru 85 axle is a very strong unit. When built properly will do anything you want to do. I don't think the IFS will hold up very long with large tires. Having said that, I have seen some IFS trucks at Tellico take a substantial amount of abuse.
There are Toyo's out there with D44's and D60"s. The front shaft on the Toyo t-case thru 94 will be on the right side.

I run a 1981 axle with Newfield joints, chromo axles, a high pinion FJ 80 third member(standard 8" diff size), 5:29 gears with a Detroit locker. 10" Beadlocks,4 back spacing, with 12.50x15x38 TSL Swampers.

So far so good

So far no problems with my axles, stock front, locked rear.

But I do try to take it easy on mine, no tight turns and heavy throttle stuff.

I hear that the birfields up front are the weakest link, but something has to be.

:driver:

A Toy axle can be made to run a good size tire for not alot of cash... I'm running 38.5" SX's on mine. with CV Unlimited's Newfield CV's (birfield replacements). 4.10 gears. I try to be gentle backing up with the wheels turned, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

A friend of mine who is a finesse driver, has been running 35" Boggers for years on stock birfs, I think he's broken one. in YEARS. on good, challenging trails.

An 81-85 front axle is a far easier swap under a minitruck....

YMMV.

PM Crawldog on here and ask him how many axles he broke w/ IFS. Last check he was at 6 I believe. Stock motor, tranny, 4.7s and 5.29. He REALLY tried to make the IFS work (engineer) but he finally SAS it.

Take it from the IFS Posterboy, do the SAS and don't look back. Just do it right the first time.

PS: I do have a Land Cruiser FJ80 front axle housing with complete knuckles, brake calipers and one spindle, and the tie rod for cheap that uses the 8 inch 3rd member if you're interested, but you'll need to fill it with the 3rd member and axle components and hubs. They're passenger side drop, but turning an FJ80 housing around so it's a driver's side drop for a Taco is a short piece of work and it's just the right width for a Taco to boot (wider than the older units).

Back