Motorcycle camping tent

TARider

I'm trying to pick up the last of my gear before spring and am almost done. I'm looking for a nice 2 person tent (absolutely waterproof) that breathes well (no condensation in the morning) that packs to to a maximum length of 18" so it fits in my panniers. I know I can strap a longer one on top but am looking to keep my gear locked up in the boxes.
Budget is up to $300. Any suggestions?

REI half dome?

Eureka Timberline?

Sierra Designs, any model in your size of choice.

I have done many nights off of two different GS using a twenty year old Sierra Designs two man that is still in service today. The other recommendations are based off friends' adventure touring experiences. Note, I also hammock camp...a good option with sil tarp.

I came close to getting the REI Halfdome. Wound up getting a Hennessey Hammock.
Now that the weathers turning its time to start getting some miles in!

Excellent choice! Spend some time on the hammock forums and go for it. My hammock sleeping has evolved and it is generally better than tenting. Keep the thread updated with pics and experiences?

Here's my kids' set up for summer car camping (I keep sil tarp handy in case of rain).

asweetwaterfarms.smugmug.com_Family_Mountain_Trips_i_PmNtfXg_0_M_IMG_0107_M.jpg

And since this is a moto thread, here's the missus and I camping off of '05 GS (This was a breakfast shot in town; The Aprilia in background spent the day with us and was similarly outfitted):

asweetwaterfarms.smugmug.com_Family_Mountain_Trips_i_qFnmP3J_0_M_P1000138_M.jpg

Last edited:
Will do. You the same Sweetwater that was selling a WR on Adv? Looked like a good deal. Dirt wheels and it would be at my house....

I'm one and the same Sweetwater. I sold that WR and picked up a new dual sport for the missus so now everyone can ride. Very pleased with the KLX250s, so ended up with two :)

Also looking at a new hammock this week: Warbonnet Blackbird.

How's the Hennessey working out?

It's worked out perfectly. It's the Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip so plenty of room inside if you are over 6'. I added whoopie slings and straps so setup is a breeze. Sometimes I even hang it in the backyard and sleep out there.
That KLX is a great bike. I can't get my wife to ride but it's probably for the best. The one time I got her on a moped she wound up on the sidewalk......

Nice hammock set!

Since I already own several gathered-end hammocks, I ordered a Warbonnet Traveler and Superfly tarp. Gonna try that out and add a net as needed. I've used blake hitches tied in Samson Yacht Braid for years and it works very, very well as suspension system with tree straps. Might try a Whoopie Sling soon too, might be a little faster???

I watched the video this morning, basically same as my blake hitch technique.

I leave loop tied to end of hammock, attach tree strap with 'biner, attach loop to 'biner, center hammock using the hitch in the loop.

You get under quilt? I've yet to check that out, still using pad inside hammock to keep torso from chilling.

I haven't tried under quilt. So far my sleeping bag has been enough but I haven't done any really cold trips.

My ground pad (I use a Z-Rest or ThermaRest) between me and the inner hammock has always been fine. Our trips are generally in the hot months due to schedules at work and school so that's always been just fine (and cheap!). I did get "cold Butt Syndrone" one night at Wilson's Creek when I wiggled off the mat and woke to mid 50s (in my summer bag). I would have been warm in my tent or under the open sky but that area between me and the ground was robbing my heat.

Note, we have done plenty of cold winter camping on the ground and stay warm with simple pads underneath 0-degree bags. The hammock is just a tad different.

I'm stoked to try the Warbonnet double layer with my pad ASAP. Waiting on the order to get stitched right now and my oldest has already claimed my ENO Double Wide :)

Be sure to do a review when it shows up.
I didn't think to use a ground pad. I have their Z lite I use for family camping in the big tent. I'll try sticking that in there sometime.

I almost forgot about this thread! Haven't spent a night in WarBonnet yet, but wow, what nice work.

My Traveler and Super Fly arrived within days of order, a very pleasant surprise. I hung both in the yard and was very impressed with the quality of stitches and material...nice :) Went on first trip with the Traveler and ended up with my niece and nephew as well as my kids...ended up on the ground as a group (and we all know sleeping on the ground sucks!).

I will follow up in the next couple weeks after we visit Lake James and The Gorge. So far this hammock is highly recommended for its value (not much more than Eno and much nicer materials) and superb customer service from an AMERICAN company.

Back