Moving to Raleigh.

cybergeek23851

I am cross posting this from Pirate, on the advice of some of the members here.
After the past year and a half and the turmoil (Click here for details... :popcorn: ) that surrounded it, I am finally starting over. I accepted a job opportunity on the South side of Raleigh. I looked at at few places after my interview. I grabbed a couple of different local guides while down there, and I'm also looking online, as well. I have some familiarity with North Carolina, but that is primarily related to the Greenville, Washington, and Pactolus area.

I am looking for places with a reasonable rent(would prefer less than $1000.00/Month with either utilities included or a furnished option, or if you know of some magical place with both, awesome :D ! I am starting out anew(basically) and am looking for some local input. I would prefer a place with less crack slinging and gun fire than my current location in wonderful, cheerful, Franklin Virginia. My job will be just off of Lake Wheeler, and close to Tryon. I would prefer to stay on that side of the Belt line, or no more than 5 to seven miles or so from the shop, until I get used to the city.
My brother will be moving with me as well, so that is why I am looking towards an actual apartment versus a roommate scenario. I am not intending on being in an apartment permanently, just long enough for me to get my affairs in order. I know that Garner is highly recommended but I am trying to actually stay in the city of Raleigh until I get used to "big city life.":lol: I know that traffic can be a pain... I worked in the Hampton Roads area servicing ATM machines with my previous job. I had a daily commute from anywhere between an hour or up to 3 hours+, depending on where I started. To be frank, I would like to get away from that issue for a while.

Once we are in the area, maybe I can meet up with some of ya'll and we can talk shop, hit the firing range, driving range, etc. I don't have a rig to wheel in currently(just most of the basic tools to build one), but I do have what few guns that are left, and a cheap set of golf clubs

Anyhow, I look forward to meeting you all in my ventures.

Jason Y.

only thing i can offer is get a gps unit like garmin tom tom or others.

when i was down there few weeks ago i had no clue how to get around . but the rental vehicle i was driving had a gps unit device.

had no problems with that nice computer lady bossing me around. and if you miss a turn it auto corrects for you so no figuring it out.

and i just got a new garmin with lifetime traffic / map updates onsale for 150 with tax at best buy. buy the cable on ebay for 9 bucks shipped. and then plug in to computer and plot out all you need and dump to unit and go.

hope this helps you . :driver:

When are you gonna be coming into town for a looksie?

I travel with work, but if I'm in town when you get here we can grab a pint and go for a tour.

I have GPS, since that is what "sweetcheeks" says you need. I in reference to the way there are no straight streets, and they tend to change name without notice.

Hit me up here or on Pirate, same name both boards.

Just had a bud move down here from RI looking for a similar place. He ended up at some nice enough apts that were on the inexpensive side, off of Lake Wheeler rd;
nearby address: 2000-2042 Quaker Landing
Raleigh, NC 27603

read about most of your situation. hope you find a better life here in NC. dont know much about the Raleigh area. but im sure you'll catch on quick and love it!
good luck.

Man...read your story. That is most unfortunate.

When you get to Raleigh, feel free to get in touch. I am up for the driving range, firing range, little driveway wrenching or whatever. Raleigh was an adjustment for me as well, but after the first year I got better at getting around and learning what all it had to offer. Raleigh will grow on you.

Good luck with everything!

Raleigh isn't to bad to get around and we're friendly! Best of luck with finding a place and moving, we'll look forward to seeing you around.

Jason,

My buddy has a duplex fairly close to Tryon/Lake Wheeler. If you are interested, I will see if he is looking for renters and put you two in touch.

And x2 what houdini said

I lived in a neighborhood right by tryon/lake wheeler. Nice area over there, but sorry I cant help on apartments.

in reference to the way there are no straight streets, and they tend to change name without notice.

We have several roads that do that. very confusing even for the folks that have been here a while. ie the Blue ridge/duraleigh/millbrook/spring forest/New hope rd.

Check around NCSU.. gorman st, avent ferry rd area lots of rentals out that way, but school is around the corner so availability is diminishing.

i live ~2mins from lake wheeler and tryon off lineberry road. 95% of the apartments in the area you're looking and in your price range are college appartments, and im sure you can imagine tend to get rowdy from thursday night till sunday.

if you're down for tossing a couple dozen brews back with some college kids, shoot me a pm when you get down here :chug:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/search/apa?query=ncsu&srchType=A&bedrooms=1

I read your story. Pretty crappy situation. I hope everything works out well for you.

don't worry about finding him a place. the offer he had was taken back.

Thanks for letting the members know.

Yes, I found out this morning while I was en-route to get my paperwork completed/in order, and to look for a place to live. I had basically crossed the county line into Nash County, and decided to check my emails again, when I found that the offer for the job had been rescinded.

Time to start looking again.

Anyone looking for an electrical(120/240V)/electronics(automotive, instrumentation, etc) tech that can fabricate, do basic machining, and weld?

Back