My 1995 Mitsubishi Montero SR

EvilEric

1995 Monty SR Earth Roamer

I got my Monty SR friday night.
Front limited slip, factory rear air locker

Plans have changed. See next page for new info.

Stock, doin the lift,wheels and tires next week.
ai534.photobucket.com_albums_ee345_e_bedsaul_Resize_P260211_15091000007.jpg

Im pullin the 3rd row seats out, and try to build a rear cargo storage rack system. I really wanna pull the carpet out and find some thick rubber floormat material to cover the floor and cargo area.

this is why you was wanting to sell the other monteros and raiders?

Nice start. Jc whitney might be a place to check out for straight rubber flooring by the roll and trim to fit. I look forward to see how this build goes as well. my 91 has many of the same parts as this sr. except for the open diff up front. Good luck with it and take plenty of pictures.

I used a cattle mattress for a free stall barn in the back of my blazer. Bought it at tractor supply new for abt 30-40 bucks. They are abt 5/8" thick so you'll never wear it out. Its a bitch to cut, but score it multiple times w a new razor knife and it does a clean job in pretty short order.

Very jealous by the way...nice find

this is why you was wanting to sell the other monteros and raiders?

Nice start. Jc whitney might be a place to check out for straight rubber flooring by the roll and trim to fit. I look forward to see how this build goes as well. my 91 has many of the same parts as this sr. except for the open diff up front. Good luck with it and take plenty of pictures.

correct sir. out with the old, in with the new!

I used a cattle mattress for a free stall barn in the back of my blazer. Bought it at tractor supply new for abt 30-40 bucks. They are abt 5/8" thick so you'll never wear it out. Its a bitch to cut, but score it multiple times w a new razor knife and it does a clean job in pretty short order.

Very jealous by the way...nice find

thanks man, i'll check them out tomorrow. is it flexible?

trans filter and fluid change. Just fyi, if you buy one of these always use the mitsubishi filter and trans fluid. To many horror stories of parts store filters and fluid, even good synthetic fluid, messing the transmission up resulting in a rebuild.
Anyways, got that done. Im going through everything, fixing or replacing anything that looks like it needs it. Discovered a leaky water pipe on the back side of the intake manifold/plenum. Gonna fix that, and I need a new oil pump, and my voltage regulator is going bad. Its internal, so im gonna need a new alternator, so im just gonna get a 150amp high output unit. I know thats not "high output" to alot of people, but on my monty it is.
So while im at it, industrial clamps,heavy gauge battery cables and extreme duty yellow top gel battery to keep me really juiced up!
Oh, also got a compressor driven blast horn, rated at 150db! A lot better than the factory mouse horn.

Got some cooling issues fixed. Also got some kinks worked out with the transfer case.
Also got some newer meats on it. 33x12.50x15 Big Foot AT tires w/ 15x10 aluminum wheels.
ai534.photobucket.com_albums_ee345_e_bedsaul_255886_11911783817f576b08eef31b69354e911b49afebcc.jpg

ai534.photobucket.com_albums_ee345_e_bedsaul_243339_1191181481f63c2e141daa959666074e0c321481c2.jpg

Oh yeah, had to throw some black wheel paint on them.

And those are really wide 12.5" tires too! This truck has no lift, no tbar crank and really saggy OEM adjustable shocks.

Gonna get my Rancho RS9000XL shocks soon. I really want to do the 2" bodylift, but cant do it myself. Anybody wanna help out? Or how much would a shop charge to do that?

All it is, is the body blocks. There are no steering modifications needed. And adjust the Automatic shifter link, so it shows Park, not Reverse, when its in Park.

Oh forgot, got Super Synthetic Mitsubishi gear oil and Mitsubishi locker additive too. Gonna get that done before headin to Hurricane Creek with cj5walt.

Lookin for a fullsize spare and wheel for the back, if anybody has one or knows where one is. 33x12.50x15 on a 6 lug wheel

Chris @ MarsFab got my wheels a turning again.
Most likely gettin a beater DD truck in the next week or so.

Then hittin the junkyards for a HP D60 from a late 70's Ford F250, I need it DSD.

Also lookin for a Chevy 14 bolt or equivalent.

Doin waggy front leafs and keepin the coils in the rear. Need to find a 23 spline NP231 transfer case(gonna do the 4:1 gears)

5.38 gears, ARB air lockers and obviously all steering and brakes modified.

It'll be built to roll on 38x13.50x17 (actual size - 37.7") Yokohama Geolander MT tires on 17x10 wheels, for the street.

And use - 37x14x16.5 (actual size - 36.3") Irok's on Trail Worthy Fab re-centered H1 wheels.

I know thats alot, and its gonna take a while and alot $!

But i'll get it done.

What you guys think?

Thanks man, none in the US that I know of. There are a few in Japan, Australia and New Zealand. These are the heavy modified truck over there!

Goin by a couple junk yards next week, for the axles.

I'll definitely make sure there are lots of pics, as it happens!

Been lookin for parts. Got 2 good leads on rear Dana 60's, so gonna do that instead of the 14 bolt.

Bilstein 5125 shocks, and Currie Anti-Rock sway bars.

Was helpin cj5walt(roommate) yesterday on his rear cargo rack, and he was trying to get me to put the montero on 40's or 42's. Not gonna happen! lol Gonna stick with the 37/38.5 combo.

Also doing disc brakes on the rear D60, so that lead me to do a transfer case E-brake. That is all!

Cant wait to get started!

Back