My 3rd Gen T4R Buildup

StretchASU

Started out last November with a bone stock 99 SR5 Sport 4Runner.

Mod List:
Optima Red Top
4" Deckplate Mod
Rear Diff Breather Mod
Hella 500 Driving Lights
Yakima Ski/Bike Rack Setup

A Couple weeks after I got it...Tint and All Terrains are on

Most Recent Front View: Yakima Rack, Hella 500's

Profile Shot

Currently under the knife getting the OEM Toyota Parts 3-3.5" Lift Installed with new 285/75/16 Goodyear MTR's (Pics Later)

Next up:
1.75 x .120 DOM/HREW Custom Rock Rails
Rear LockRight
BudBuilt Full Belly Skids

i would love to lift my 04 4runner but the wife won't let me touch her ride.

Be careful going over 3" with a lift unless you're putting lockout hubs on it. Most companies either make adjustable lifts or claim 3", but in reality give about 2" because they know that CV angle can be messy. If you drop your IFS differential it helps though - I did the diff drop on mine and it not only alleviates the CV angle but it also drives with a lot less vibration. If you need any technical help, I've already done the lift on my 2000 Limited 4runner.

ouch. how much is toyota hittin you for the lift?

Toyota isnt hitting me for anything other than random washers and bolts that im replacing...around $10 worth.
Sonoran Steel sells this entire kit for around 1200...im going to have way less than that in it when im done.

Springs and Diff Drop - 150 (New)
Tacoma DCab Tokico Blues - 80
FJ80 Rear Shocks - 50 (New)
Topouts and Revtek studs - 35 (New)

As for the wifey's 04...Wait til she needs new tires and put in some Cornfed spacers and some bigger tires...im sure she wont notice! :)

Be careful going over 3" with a lift unless you're putting lockout hubs on it. Most companies either make adjustable lifts or claim 3", but in reality give about 2" because they know that CV angle can be messy. If you drop your IFS differential it helps though - I did the diff drop on mine and it not only alleviates the CV angle but it also drives with a lot less vibration. If you need any technical help, I've already done the lift on my 2000 Limited 4runner.

Im not doing the lockout hub conversion because if I take it to that point its going under the plasma cutter and the IFS is coming out and a 79-85 Yota axle with Longfields will go in. The Tundra coils and topout spacers will give me around 2.5" so I am not going to have to worry about the diff drop, although I have it and I will probably put it in anyway. I just need to make sure the BudBuilt Skids im plannin on ordering before March will clear a dropped differential. I appreciate the offer for help and I may take you up on it.

With the Christmas/Bday money I got, the progress of it all should be sped up a significant bit. The lift will be finished this week if I can get it into the shop. I just need 2 more 285/75/16 Goodyear MTR's and the tires will go on as well. The LockRite and Marlin Crawler sliders will follow soon thereafter. Just as long as its ready for Harlan in March I will be happy. Callalantee is 20 min away and will provide a great place to go slowly break in and test all the new toys.

Even with 2.5'' you will need the diff drop. I have lifted more than I can count of these at the dealership and have seen the same problems with the 2.5'' lift as the 3''. The 79-85 axle will not work unless you plan on cutting the axle and swapping it from pass side drop to drives side drop. Even then the axle is going to be 5'' narrower than your rear axle. You could get a diamond housing for $800. and spend another $350. for axles to fit it.

Even with 2.5'' you will need the diff drop. I have lifted more than I can count of these at the dealership and have seen the same problems with the 2.5'' lift as the 3''. The 79-85 axle will not work unless you plan on cutting the axle and swapping it from pass side drop to drives side drop. Even then the axle is going to be 5'' narrower than your rear axle. You could get a diamond housing for $800. and spend another $350. for axles to fit it.

Ahhh interesting...well the drop went in anyway. I had it so I figured I would cut my chances of breaking/tearing up cv's since I will be spending a lot of time in the rocks over in Callalantee and have already put them to complete droop and compression at stock. As for the axle thats an interesing point that I hadnt really heard. Guess thats why the Sonoran Steel SAS'd 3rd gen has a D44 under it. Go figure.

Pics hopefully up tomorrow night (poser shots and action/flex pics)

Just got it finished off today. Parts list:

Front:
TRD Tacoma Double Cab Tokicos
TRD Tundra Springs
Bamachem 3/8" Top Plate Spacer
Revtek Extended Studs
1" Diff Drop

Rear:
93 FJ80 Front Coils
93 FJ80 Rear Monroe Gasmatic Shocks

It will probably end up getting another Bamachem spacer to even things out more since I used a pretty tall FJ Coil in the rear. about 3-3.5" above stock and my cargo area is currently loaded down pretty good.

Stock
2730374470083701252S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] [/IMG]

Lifted
liftmj7.jpg

Some better pictures should be up this weekend after we head out to Callalantee ORV and test it all out and see what needs to be done.

Next up is Sliders and a LockRight and possibly a 1" 4Crawler BL

cp racing closed. and those dont look like MTR's. looks good tho chris

Yeah I know Grant. I heard they are just doing online sales now...of all the time I spend working on the 4runner its the one thing I keep meaning to take off. The MTR's are sitting here in the apartment right next to me waiting for the last 2 to get here. Then they are goin on. It will look totally different with the tires. I have Trail Gear 1.75x.120 HREW Rock Sliders coming on the 8th as well.

nice looking 'Yota, i like that App tag!:Rockon: . do you know AJ Surridge (since you also have a Theta Chi sticker) by any chance?

nice looking 'Yota, i like that App tag!:Rockon: . do you know AJ Surridge (since you also have a Theta Chi sticker) by any chance?

Haha yeah man AJ is my brother...literally. Since ur name is Big G im guessing this is Geoff? Red XJ and went to South Meck. I see your Jeep around all the time. Good lookin setup and possible one of the cleanest kepy XJ's around here. A couple of my friends from back home in Charlotte knew ya as well since they went to SM.

the part about the 79-85 axle is not true. the gears oil themselves. therefore, you can take the housing turn it over to left side output, reverse the knuckles and then just put the third back in. this is what PJ did on his rear steer yota buggy. his entire drivetrain is on the right side due to the LC tcase... IIRC....but yes, it will still be a lot more narrow.

i live in boone as well maybe i will see you guys floating around... i DD a white Tj with a white hard top so if you see me give me a rebel yell:beer:

haha, yeah this is Geoff. you didnt go to South Meck did you? thanks for the compliments, i try to keep it looking as nice as possible. didnt mean to hi-jack the thread, just figured you knew AJ. has he done anything else with the Jeep lately? he needs to throw a winch in that HCORE bumper of his. cburgin, hope to see you around Boonetown!

Thx Houdini...

Im going to pick the truck up in a bit. Had to get my diff drop put in so I got my sliders welded on at the same time. I went with Trail Gear's kit for my truck. Came with 6 pre notched legs (3 each side) and all the mounting brackets and gussets. 1.75x .120HREW.

Back