My FSJ/Oil leaks?

collard

I just got what I thought was a great deal and I still think it is but I have a few concerns. I just bought a 1986 Grand Wagoneer, it seems to run really strong but it leaks oil like crazy underneath the body right behind the motor. It also spits black stuff looks like oil mixed with water out of the exhaust. I have no expirience in mechanic work but the reason I got this was to get some hands on expirience. I would appreciate any feedback I could get.

I'd say the oil leak is one of two things. Check the valve cover gaskets to see if they are leaking. With the engine running the cooling fan will blow the leak to the back and drip behind.

It could also be the rear main seal. Not uncommon at all for this engine.

The black stuff you are seeing is most likely residue of carbon from a rich burning carb mixed with condensation. Could also be the first signs of a bad head gasket. Should stop after running a while if it is just the condensation.

upnover said:
I'd say the oil leak is one of two things. Check the valve cover gaskets to see if they are leaking. With the engine running the cooling fan will blow the leak to the back and drip behind.

It could also be the rear main seal. Not uncommon at all for this engine.

The black stuff you are seeing is most likely residue of carbon from a rich burning carb mixed with condensation. Could also be the first signs of a bad head gasket. Should stop after running a while if it is just the condensation.

Thanks alot for the input. The main seal sounds like a big deal? I replaced a valve cover gasket in my old car though is it as straight forward on a FSJ? Thanks again for the help it is greatly appreciated.

Aaron871 said:
You will never totally train a jeep to be leak free. It is there natural instinct to mark their territory.

haha

Back