My long term buggy project...

rockcity

everyday is a chance to get better
EDIT: My long term buggy project... rolling chassis

I thought I'd share my project with everyone. Well here are some good photos taken tonight.

The rear axle is a D70 that is being cut down and have knuckles welded on for rear steer. Everything is tack welded and I'm sure I'll have to modify something once I get the springs and knuckles and tires on there.

The tranny is a Ford T18 with Novak D300 adapter. Motor is a 351 from my old 95 F250. Front axle is a Dodge D60.

Rear suspension is 4 link and front will be a 3 link, I think.

Anyone got any suggestions?
buggy17

Rob

Ok, for all of you that are lazy, here are some of the pics.

Attachments

• buggy5.jpg
    buggy5.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,375
  • buggy14.jpg
    buggy14.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,425
  • buggy01.JPG
    buggy01.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,380
I don't really like the offset rear, but the way the axle was and how I wanted to use it, I had to offset it a couple of inches. Oh well, no big deal.

Rob

lookin good!

i got an email from pete the other day, told him to get ahold of you.

Thanks Brian.

I'm posting more pics as I get more work done. Should start installing the engine/tranny/TC next week. Then I'll be able to fab the tranny mount and maybe re-do the lower rear links for double traingulation.

More to come...

Rob

Got some templates made up so I can cut, bend, and roll some 1/8" sheet metal gussets on the double hoop corners. Also getting ready to work on the motor and get it installed, hopefully tomorrow night.

Rob

I got the engine in. its not mounted, but its hanging in there waiting me to weld up the engine mounts. I also cut the templates for the gussets on the double cage hoops.

Hope to get the gussets cut and welded in tomorrow and the motor tack welded in w/tranny and TC.

Rob

Attachments

• P4190041.JPG
    P4190041.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 632
  • P4180031.JPG
    P4180031.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 657
got the gussets made and tack welded in place. I'll post pics later when I get them welded in.
Gonna tackle the motor,tranny, tc tomorrow

Rob

Well, got the gussets welded in.

Also got the motor mounts almost welded in. Just waiting to make the tabs to mount to the motor. (maybe Sunday afternoon) Trying to hold off until I find out how much room I have for a radiator and fan.

Also got the driver's side spindle cut off of the rear axle. ready for inner Cs and knuckles (sure wish I had some!)

Also, got the T18 and D300 installed and got a good idea on what I'm going to do with mounting them and also a skid. the triangulated rear/lower links are gonna work, so I'll start that soon as well.

More pics and work to come.

Rob

Attachments

• P4230002.JPG
    P4230002.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 581
  • P4230007.JPG
    P4230007.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 580
  • P4230006.JPG
    P4230006.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 568
here is a pic of the ground clearance I'll have without the skid. Wanted it to be flat, but the engine would stick out of the hood by 4" if I moved everything up anymore. Also a pic of the motor mount bushing, frame side.

Rob

Attachments

• P4230003.JPG
    P4230003.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 636
  • P4230004.JPG
    P4230004.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 595
Hey rob, check out the way I did my axle truss for my single upper over on usjeeps. I used a poison spider rock ring w/ears and two peices of 1/2 inch Plate which can be welded to your pipe truss in the rear to give it top end support.

I searched and looked at your pics but didn't see any pics of the axle or rock ring.

Thats what I plan on doing, making a heavy duty rock ring and mounting straight to that with some type of skid built in as well.

Rob

well, didn't do much with the buggy last couple of days, been working and studying for ECU exams. Anyway, I did however, measure for the skid plate and tomorrow will make that (hopefully). I've also got to do a little modification to the motor mount brackets. I'm having the offset the tabs with a bend in the metal b/c I had to slide the motor back a little. Also, the bracket I made that bolts to the engine is a little under-broke, so I need to put it back on the pressbrake and bend it a little more, no biggie, about 30sec. of work.

So, tomorrow night after my exam, I'm welding the motor mounts (finally), and mocking up the skid so I know where the trans mounts will be. I also have to make some tabs for mounting the skid, so that will take a little time as well b/c I have to drill and tap them after I get them mounted on the buggy. For the trans mount, I'm using a poly boat trailer roller from Overton's (or wherever) and am cutting it into about 2" long pieces and using that. Already has a 1/2" hole in the center and is cheaper than other poly mounts. Plus, I get to make the mount however I want, all custom with no design limitations.

I also measured, measured, and measured. I think I'm gonna have to have a 2 piece front drive shaft with a carrier bearing. I have a Ford engine/tranny and a D300, so the starter is on the pass. side which is where the front driveshaft is as well. Also, I'm having to route the exhaust arount all of this and the frame rail and not go below the skid. I have ideas, but won't be able to get them in motion until I get the engine/trans/tc mounted and the front axle. Then I can get the front driveshaft in there and work around that with the exhaust. Thats down the road a little though...

Didnt' take any pics, so no new ones to post.

Rob

thanks. its starting to come together. It takes a huge amount of work to get one of these things going. I'm not even close to finishing now that I look at all I have to do. I'm coming slowly though. Got the engine mounts tacked and will weld out tomorrow. Also, instead of making the whole skid and hoping it works, I made a shorter version (template) out of 4x1/4 flat bar to see if the whole thing would work and surprise, perfect!!! So tomorrow's agenda: finally completely weld the engine mounts, cut and notch a couple pieces of tubing, and fab the skid. Probabally won't get any of it installed, but at least I'll be able to fab it.

More to come...

Rob

Well, got the skids fabricated (full belly skid, from TC up to engine oil pan). Its in 3 pieces, so I'll have to install one at a time and transition b/t each with some more metal. I had to do it like that because I wanted as much clearance as possible and didn't want the skid to be huge the whole way down the belly.

Also got the engine mounts welded and installed. Its finally starting to come together.

Didn't get any pics yet, been way too busy. I'll be able to do some more on the buggy Wed. and will take some pics too.

Back