My new rear end :)

cherokee91red

Alright, after months of debating on an axle swap I went to City Salvage and bought an 8.8 out of a 2000 explorer. Took it back to the dorm, got it stripped and cleaned. A few weeks later got the Jeep into the shop and set up the gears on the d30. We were double checking the axle I got on a lathe and the driver's side shaft was bent pretty bad. So that week I took it back and picked up another axle from a 98 Explorer, no charge Very Happy. I didn't have the time to clean the new one up so thats why it still looks dirty. Set up the gears on the 8.8. Went with 4.88's. Used 2.5" square steel tubing for spring perches and the stock shock mount i reused and welded even with the bottom of the axle tube. The second axle I picked up was an open carrier thankfully, so I was able to use the mini-spool I bought. I haven't had time to try everything out on the trail but heres a link to some pics. I'll try and get some more of it underneath the Jeep when I can find my camera cable.

http://community.webshots.com/album/300383978tWdYHO

Glad to see you went roundy round with the bead at the pumpkin and tube. That is one of the axles weak points...now all you gotta do is get rid of the carrier...(it's other weak point). I love my 8.8...I've been treating it pretty bad now for a couple of years with no issues. I was finally able to get an Eaton E-locker for it. Now it's :Rockon:

looks good, how do you like the 4.88's? i was considering those but i do alot of highway driving and will probably never run over a 35" tire.

If I did a lot of highway driving I wouldn't go over 4.56's. The 4.88's are pretty nice for the ratio, but once I get up over 55-60, they're definitely too deep. I know the carrier is a weak point but I plan on putting in a selectable when I get enough money. The spool is eating up those rear tires.

I did go by pull-a-part but whenever I was buying the axle they had just opened and inventory was real low. I'm going to head out to there next week to pick up a front driveshaft, checked out their price sheet and its only 12 bucks.

scarface said:
City is usually really high on axles Pull-a-part is $86 for any axle the way i understand it.

Details on location, and how one would get a parts list... $86 for ANY axle sounds too good to be true, but still I'm only looking for "small" stuff.

J

Pull-a-part is new and its almost directly across the street from Tar Heel 4wd on N. Tryon. Its about 1/4 mile north of Tar Heel. One of my friends did some checking and said a disc brake axle is around $110, drum brake is $86, but thats still one good deal. Their inventory is all older models though. Newest Exploder is a 93 and newest Cherokee is an 89 as of last week.

Back